What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hoping to buy an RV8 at oshkosh... need advice

polkaking27

I am hoping to purchase a flying RV-8 in the near future. I am going to Oshkosh this year with a deposit in hand and hoping to find the "right" toy. I've never built one, so I don't know how to assess the build quality. Any tips/hints or ideas on how to assess the build quality? Any other hints on purchasing a flying RV. Is anyone else gonna be there that could help me with looking? I'd be happy to pay you for your time.

I've been there a few times now and always seen a few RV's with for sale signs on them. I hoping to see some again this time.

Get assistance

My advice is not to try to do the pre-buy yourself if you don't know how to do it well. I am mostly through my build, and if it were me, I would still get someone who knows a lot more than I do.

Secondly, I doubt if they could perform a proper pre-buy inspection at Oshkosh. There is a lot going on, and it's out in the open. I would imagine most owners not wanting their aircraft partially disassembled while there.

But I might be wrong, maybe you can locate someone willing to do pre-buy inspections there, and hopefully, they have an area to bring the plane to do it.

There's not that much inventory for sale at Oshkosh, so you'd be limiting yourself unnecessarily. A better idea is to arrange to meet somebody who can look at planes with you there and help you get an education on the topic.

I think buying planes at Oshkosh was a bigger deal before we had the interwebs and HD cameras on our phone. Look here, on Barnstormers, etc. now, find a likely candidate, get a proper pre-buy done, and maybe fly your new-to-you -8 to Oshkosh!

You should contact Don McNamara Elkhart, IN - goes by NRV8 here on VAF.

He posted his plane a while back, and might still be willing to sell. Look up his posts, you could not go wrong this this bird. Even at list price.

Osh doesn't seem like the right venue to buy an airplane at first sight. Much better for looking at a bunch of RVs without a deposit in pocket and talk to builders. I don't know any builders that wouldn't be willing to talk about every question you didn't know to ask...

Not a great place to buy one but you could get lucky. If you find one you want just give them a deposit based on a successful pre buy inspection sometime after the show at their location or yours. Then find a local RV guy to help you with the inspection. Good, qualified guys all over the country.

I'll add my support for not buying anything *at* Oshkosh, but instead using it as a learning opportunity to learn about the airplanes first-hand. I haven't been to Oshkosh, but even at the much smaller Arlington, WA fly-in there are enough RV's to overload your senses with all the things to look at. Learn first, then search for the right bird later.

Thanks for all the advice! Sounds like the resounding message is to not buy at osh. I think I'll take your advice and just try to learn more about them so I know what I'm looking for. Any volunteers that want to spend a couple hours out there teaching me? I'd be happy to buy you an overpriced oshkosh lunch.
Thanks again

For me, buying my flying RV-8 was an educational process. I had owned 3 certified planes but never a homebuilt, so I didn't want to rush into anything. One thing I learned as I started looking was that there were wide variances in equipment and build quality. Therefore, I took my time and kept looking until I found the one that was right for me. I had the luxury of not being in a hurry (I had another airplane already) and it helped me select an 8 for which I have no regrets.

Oshkosh is an excellent place to learn about the plane you want to buy. Check out every RV-8 on the flight line, whether it's for sale or not. It will help you develop some useful criteria.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the advice! Sounds like the resounding message is to not buy at osh. I think I'll take your advice and just try to learn more about them so I know what I'm looking for. Any volunteers that want to spend a couple hours out there teaching me? I'd be happy to buy you an overpriced oshkosh lunch.
Thanks again

Trust me, you will get plenty FREE advice talking to pilots at Oshkosh! :D Just get out there and ask questions, most pilots/builders will talk your arm off!

Trust me, you will get plenty FREE advice talking to pilots at Oshkosh! :D Just get out there and ask questions, most pilots/builders will talk your arm off!

Yeah, that. Just plop down at a bench at the new HBC pavilion and move around as people come and go.

"Hi, my name is .... What's yours?" "I'm planning on buying an RV8 real soon. What can you tell me about RVs, the build process, and what to look for?" You'll be stuck for hours. You won't have any concrete answers, but you'll be in possession of a sea of OPINIONS to sift through to draw your own conclusions.

Back