What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Neat trick in tight spaces

cdeerinck

Well Known Member
Does anyone know of a trick to use to tighten or loosen nuts in a confined space like this?

I don't seem to be able to even get a crows foot on it.

How are you guys doing this?

102w5cw.jpg

Wrench

Inexpensive box end wrench. Grind down the outside to almost nothing and cut a slot big enough for the push pull housing with a die grinder. Don't get the wrench too hot while grinding, dip it in water frequently while grinding.
For that application you may only need to grind one side of the wrench, just enough to fit between the nuts. Wrench should be 12 point. Offset box might be an additional advantage.

Inexpensive box end wrench. Grind down the outside to almost nothing and cut a slot big enough for the push pull housing with a die grinder. Don't get the wrench too hot while grinding, dip it in water frequently while grinding.
For that application you may only need to grind one side of the wrench, just enough to fit between the nuts. Wrench should be 12 point. Offset box might be an additional advantage.

Ditto. Harbor Freight. Grind, heat, bend if necessary. Then you have a highly specialized, custom airplane tool.

I just replaced the throttle cable on my RV-8. I have to give a huge thanks to my friend David who helped thread the cable through the gear tower.

I used an open end wrench on an extension to loosen and tighten that nut . I hope I never have to do that again. If I do, I'll try Bryan and Jim's idea's.

Wrench

For the OP situation the modified box wrench is better than the crowsfoot. For aluminum fittings the six point crowsfoot or tubing wrench is much kinder to the B nuts than a twelve point.
When modifying wrenches for special purpose try to avoid heating the end of the wrench. If you absolutely must heat the end at least some of the heat treat can be restored by quenching the hot end in a small container of oil. Use appropriate safety precautions.

Back