What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hand Proping 14A/IO390

Bush Dog

I'm New Here
The cold engine pre-start was completed, key to start but the prop barley moved on several attempts. Low battery charge. With brakes held and switch OFF, Co-Pilot pulled the prop through several times from front of aircraft. With key to both, brakes held and Co-pilot BEHIND the prop, the prop was pulled downward and immediately started. If you get stuck, Its worth a try!

CAREFUL!!!!

The cold engine pre-start was completed, key to start but the prop barley moved on several attempts. Low battery charge. With brakes held and switch OFF, Co-Pilot pulled the prop through several times from front of aircraft. With key to both, brakes held and Co-pilot BEHIND the prop, the prop was pulled downward and immediately started. If you get stuck, Its worth a try!

Before you try this make sure you understand the ignition system. This works fine with 2 impulse mags. BUT, if one mag is NON-impulse type, the engine can easily fire before top dead center causing the prop to kick back and severely injure your hand. On a "typical" system where only the left mag is impulse, the switch should be in the "left" position.

If this post was intended to inform those who have never thought about, learned about, or attempted hand propping of the fact that hand propping is indeed possible, then a very strong dose of caution is needed. Thank you Mel for the post. And there is much more. The most dangerous hand propping situation is that of becoming stranded with little knowledge or experience with hand propping. Please learn about hand propping safety before considering an attempt.

Like Rick says; I put hand propping in the same category as aerobatics. Neither should be attempted without proper training.
My first airplane was a 1941 T-Craft where hand propping was the norm.
Most propping accidents happen to inexperienced people, and the airplane has a starter.

Last edited:
A few people have died from hand propping after they lunged forward into the prop putting too much effort into it. Please be careful.

I might add that if the plane has a three bladed prop, just don't do it!

Not that I would prop an "A" with any type of prop!

Back