What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

One more fuel sys question

bird

Well Known Member
I am installing the airflow filter in between the fuel valve and aux pump as per plans. I have read everything on here so far about fuel systems. What I am uncertain about is the need for the gascolator, engine is with a carb. And a tail dragger. I know the tanks are the lowest point. Not installing a gascolator would make the fwf install much better. Vans shows a gascolator but not anything in the manual. Seems like its only real purpose, being its after a filter, would be to catch water. Then I think well if I sump the main tanks like I should how could water even get to the fwf. Please give me some more facts. I don't take changing anything on my fuel system lightly. What do the experienced say?
Thanks

Bird

I am installing the airflow filter in between the fuel valve and aux pump as per plans. I have read everything on here so far about fuel systems. What I am uncertain about is the need for the gascolator, engine is with a carb. And a tail dragger. I know the tanks are the lowest point. Not installing a gascolator would make the fwf install much better. Vans shows a gascolator but not anything in the manual. Seems like its only real purpose, being its after a filter, would be to catch water. Then I think well if I sump the main tanks like I should how could water even get to the fwf. Please give me some more facts. I don't take changing anything on my fuel system lightly. What do the experienced say?
Thanks

Bird

In Canada, we dont have a choice. We have to install a gascolator. In my case, the gascolator is installed in the port wing root just ahead of the fuel selector... the drain as low as I can get it so it just peeks out below the wing.

The fuel flows out from the selector to the gascolator, then back in to the fuselage and up to the filter / pump assembly, then from there on through the firewall.

When I drain the gascolator, it does occasionally have small particulate debris in it. In the last annual check, the downstream filter was spotless.

Even in the position that the gascolator is in, the fuel tank drains are almost at exactly the same elevation as the bottom of the gascolator, so the device is mainly acting as an additional filter...not really as a water trap. (And I didnt really want to have it hanging down into the slipstream to act as one)

(Pic of the wing root... )
gascolator.jpg

Last edited:
In Canada, we dont have a choice. We have to install a gascolator.

Hi Chris,
Is your RV carburated and would you know if this applies to fuel injected engines also in Canada?

BTW, love your registration...!!! :cool:

I'd hate to be the guy trying to safety the bowl screws on that gascolator :eek:

IMO, gascolators generally do more harm than good on an RV by acting as a fuel heater when placed FWF.

I'd hate to be the guy trying to safety the bowl screws on that gascolator :eek:

It's actually not too bad. I was worried about that as well, but after the wing fairings are removed, it's not a big problem to get at the screws and resafety. Of course, that may also depend on the gascolator model used.

Two things:

1-some gascolators provide the required filtering for the Airflow fuel pump. In my case, the Andair gascolator did the trick. Installing it between the fuel selector and the Airflow pump eliminates the need for a separate fuel filter.
Airflow specifies the required filter requirements.

2-Canadian requirements require a gascolator for all types of fuel systems (carbed, FI) at the low point of the fuel system.

Interpretation: To understand what this means, and why the requirement exists, you have to think like a water molecule. Many people install the gascolator at the low point of the fuel system and think that means that for a tail dragger, it needs to be in the wing root in order to compensate for the tail low attitude on the ground.

Water that forms (precipitates) or collects in the fuel tanks due to fuel cap leakage will stay in the tanks and may be detected by sumping the fuel drains. It will not be apparent in the gascolator unless the engine has been run with water in the tanks.

The real purpose of the gascolator is to collect (small) amounts of water contained in the fuel while the engine is running. This means that the gascolator needs to be at the low point of the fuel system in flight attitude. The design of the gascolator allows the water to collect at the bottom of the bowl and for uncontaminated fuel to flow through. This is more important for carbureted engines since water will fill the carburetor bowl and the engine will quit. For FI engines, small quantities of water pass through into the cylinders and is blown out the exhaust. This is why FI systems (in the USA) don't require a gascolator, but since it doubles as the required fuel filter when installed upstream of the fuel pump, why not use one?

It's fine to have the gascolator in the wing root, but as long as it's the low point in flight attitude, it can be in the stock Van's location or somewhere else. After the gascolator, try to keep the fuel lines running smoothly "uphill" to the engine driven fuel pump.

Once water is apparent in the gascolator, it's advisable to flush a sufficient quantity of fuel through the gascolator drain to ensure the upstream fuel lines have no residual water due to the unavoidable low points caused by the fuel line routing from tanks and fuel selector to the gascolator. This is harder to perform with a FI system because the pump is downstream of the gascolator. For carbed systems, the pump is usually upstream, so turning on the pump will help flush the system. With a FI system, extensive ground running and a re-check of the gascolator is in order.

All the words above can be summarized as:

"The gascolator is used to trap water in the fuel system while the engine is running. Subsequent discovery of water in the gascolator requires further investigation and corrective action".

Cheers

I installed Van's gascolator on my ECI IO-375 powered RV-7A to satisfy the Canadian regulatory requirements, and deleted the airflow performance fuel filter from my otherwise stock FI setup. Given that I have a nose dragger, I installed the gascolator on the standard firewall location for carbureted engines

I occasionally get some minor water, ice crystals, or debris from my pre-flight check of gascolator, but most contaminants are expelled through the tank sumps. So far I have seen nothing that the finger strainer in the fuel servo couldn't handle, let alone the airflow performance filter Van's sells in the FWF kit. My gascolator and servo finger screen were spotless when I did my first 100 hour inspection a few weeks ago.

I routinely experience vapor locking on straight mogas on warm days or high altitude which I manage by running straight av-gas in one tank. I suspect the gascolator contributes to the vapor locking problem. (Last week I had to run the electric fuel pump at 12,500' with OAT of -4C over western Wyoming, as engine pump alone would not maintain adequate fuel pressure to keep motor running)

If I had the choice, I would forego the gascolator on my FI engine in favor of the airflow performance in line filter, per the stock set-up Van's supplies for FI engines. If you use a clear container to visually check the contaminants from the tank sumps as part of your pre-flight, I don't see a need to sample the gascolator screen, especially since it is unreasonable to position it at the low point on a low wing design

Jay

IMO, gascolators generally do more harm than good on an RV by acting as a fuel heater when placed FWF.

Agree with Walt, I have never put one on an RV.

If you ever wish to sell your RV to the Northern Arabs (aka Canadians), having a gascolator will increase the value of your aircraft.

Most RVs are hangared and treated with TLC, so it's no surprise that the anecdotal evidence is that water is never a problem. That does not mean, however, that gascolators do not provide a useful function.

I installed Van's gascolator on my ECI IO-375 powered RV-7A to satisfy the Canadian regulatory requirements, and deleted the airflow performance fuel filter from my otherwise stock FI setup. Given that I have a nose dragger, I installed the gascolator on the standard firewall location for carbureted engines Jay

Jay,

With regards to the Airflow performance Fuel injection pump installation, The filter is there to protect the electrical pump from small debris that can damage it. Having the filter (gascolator in your case) downstream on the firewall would leave the pump vulnerable. You may consider putting the gascolator in the wing roots (upstream of the fuel selector) to satisfy this requirement. The andair gascolator is a little finer than the AP filter as supplied from Vans.

At least one of the popular fuel injection systems also requires a filter right before or after the mechanical fuel pump. This was my situation. What I did was put a gascolator (Andair) in each wing root and moved the AP fuel filter to the firewall, with a large firesleeve pulled over it The filter element was changed to a finer screen to satisfy the spec. Not flying yet. email me if you would some pictures.

Bevan

Back