What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

SL-30 Screen

DickF

The screen on my 14 yr old Apollo(Garmin) SL-30 has clouded up a bit. The clouding appears to be in a screen "cover". Might someone have a solution other than send it in to Garmin($$)??

I have only repaired an SL-40, which turns out to be the COM half of an SL-30. There was a fairly opaque piece of black plastic to optically isolate upper front panel from the lower. Perhaps it had drifted in placement and has become your 'cloud'.

New repair shop opening up: OTG :)
(Other Than Garmin)

GH

I bought and installed a new screen on my SL-40. I bought the part from Garmin - not cheap, but much cheaper and faster than sending the radio to Garmin. I recommend you remove the radio to install the part as the are small lenses over each character that can fall out...
Goog luck

actually comparing to the unit cost itself, the new face is relatively cheap. But new face will be Garmin and it will look like a brand new unit. :D

Thanks for the info!

Dean, might you have ordering and/or contact info for ordering the SL-30 part?

The clear window and the underlying dark lens came unglued from my SL40 last summer. I emailed Garmin about gluing them back onto the faceplate. They said no can do. Must purchase new items. Contact customer service. Cost will be $40.
This for 2 pieces of 6" x 5/8" plastic.

Back