What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-14 Heat in cockpit

killer

I'm New Here
I have new RV-14 (75 hours) and the issue is I am getting heat in the cockpit. All flapper valves are closed and the tunnel does not feel hot. It feels like the engine heat line is open and coming into the cockpit. Nice for the winter but my wife is getting hot, in more ways than one. Anyone else with this problem or a solution?

One thing to consider is to remove the heat muffs for summer operations. Even when closed the heat is still being produced and is dumping out below the cabin air valves. This also allows you to really inspect the muffs at the same time, as they should be looked at every year for leaks as part of a good maintenance program.

Killer,
Check the heat box, I had a similar situation on my recently completed 8.
The flapper in the heat box needs to be shut TIGHT, as little as 1/16" open will let a lot of heat into the cockpit, you want the flapper to bottom out with at least 1/4" of cushion on the push pull control cable.

I'll reply here and on the other thread.

The new control cables are a big help. I do still have a slight leak on the pilots side yet, so I may have to resort to adding something thin for a film on the flapper door to completely get it to seal. But without those locking cables with the pushbutton, it would be a losing battle keeping the heat out.

120+ hours on it now and it's been going great.

Back