- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-27-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaskuss View Post
Tony,
If you REALLY need more than 45 amps, the small [30 to 60 amp rated, including the PP unit] ND alternators are not the way to go. Due to limited available space, the rectifier diodes are not up to supplying over 45 amps for more than a few seconds time. They will overheat and fail. For those who are electrically challenged, the 6 diodes in the rear of the alternator form a "bridge" rectifier. This rectifier converts the AC current to a useable DC current. Each failed diode will decrease power output by 1/6th of rated power. The diodes in the "small" 60 amp ND alternator are the same size as those in the 30 amp model. See

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...nso+alternator

Charlie
Hi Charlie,

Jury is out at the moment as to which supplier I go for but I have had good experience in the past with B & C when I replaced the generator on my SuperCub with a 40amp certified alternator. Had to go certified as my Cub was registered for aerial work with it's banner and glider towing hook. I will be looking at the B & C 60amp alternator but I will be keeping a close eye on weight which is the more important factor for me. I want this 4 to be as light as possible but to include some creature comforts for trips back to the UK.
RV-4 s/n 4572 Emp Kit.
RV-3B s/n 11460 Emp Kit. (In storage).
Anthony's RV-4

Last edited by islandmonkey : 12-27-2011 at 10:38 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2019, 10:20 AM

I'm digging up this old thread because it's the closest answer I've found for my current issue.

I have the FlyBoys heating pads that are yet to be installed in the seats. I have the front seat figured out, but I'm still undecided about the rear seat. I'm considering a few different switch locations and how I'll route wires from the heating elements to the relay, switch, fuse block, etc. but so far I haven't come up with an ideal solution. I want to be able to remove the rear seat easily (or at least the cushions) for luggage loading flexibility, so I don't want to bury the quick disconnect somewhere that's difficult to reach or reconnect.

Does anyone have RV-8 rear seat electric heaters that you could post send me a few photos of how you ran your wires? Seeing a few different solutions would really help me figure this out.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2019
Old 01-23-2019, 10:37 AM

Default fire?

If your seat is on fire, and you have not turned it off.... you get a D minus for situational awareness.
I run the heat on my wife's seat. On low, it is perfect. I eliminated the OEM relay and went better quality. I am warm blooded and don't bother with the heat.

Work bio: Avionics tech support; ATP rated in planes and Helicopter Instructor law enforcement tactical radio systems. Blessed to fly my RV9A to work every week.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:13 AM

Default Seat heater

Does anyone use the portable seat heater that you plug into a cigarette ligbter? I have one but haven't used it as I wasn't sure how good of an idea. The colder winter has made me think more about keeping warm.

Thanks.
John
RV-8
Old 01-23-2019, 01:18 PM

I've been running a pair of the cheap portable ones in my "other" airplane for quite a few years now. A single cigarette lighter socket in the panel was not going to cut it so I found an aftermarket extender/splitter that has a male cigarette lighter plug on one end and a triple female socket on the other end and about six feet of wire in between. Perfect for plugging the seat heaters in with all the cords etc being behind the seats and out of harm's way.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:22 PM

Default Up front.....

Classic Aero made my seats with heat and Stein incorporated the switches in the upper left of my panel. I used the factory wiring harness "as is" with all the plug in stuff accessible behind the panel thru the baggage compartment mod. I extended the wires to each seat with the other wire runs. I'm about to install the floors permanently and I'm thinking I will terminate with a molex plug that lays underneath/behind/beside each seat.
Lycoming IO-360 (180HP)
MT 3 Blade CS
N84TH / Registered and GA sales tax paid! $@&!;:?)(!
N3159F C-182 @ KJES

Last edited by sapeloson : 01-23-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Owen View Post
Does anyone use the portable seat heater that you plug into a cigarette ligbter? I have one but haven't used it as I wasn't sure how good of an idea. The colder winter has made me think more about keeping warm.

Thanks.
John
RV-8
I do. Got Ďem off of Amazon. They do a good job keeping us warm, so I took out the sketchy (IMO) heat muff and have gone ďall inĒ with the portable seat heaters along with heated vests/gloves/socks, etc.

Lots of very good battery powered stuff out there now, especially for motorcyclists. Effective and relatively long life.

The bennies (to me) of going my route is that I donít have all the wiring issues that come with a built-in seat heater, I can take it out in the summer (weight savings) and Iím also saving the 1 pound or so of weight from the heat muff (as well as avoiding the CO issue.)

The 12V adapter for the seat heaters is useful for other stuff when Iím not using it for those.

For us below-the-Mason-Dixon types who rarely venture north in winter, itís a completely workable solution.
T67-Hicks Airport, Texas
VAF Monthly Donor
Old 01-24-2019, 07:32 AM

Blake offers 2 types of seat heaters. The orange ones have a nylon outer shell which makes them waterproof and more resistant to damage, ie if you're stepping in the seat.

More info in the listing.

Seat heaters
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 01-24-2019, 07:39 AM

I also use portable seat heaters like Aggie78 and it works quite well in Ohio, especially for the back seater in my RV8. The 12V adapter (cigarette lighter socket) is protected by a 5 amp circuit breaker and Iíve never had a trip, so it must be using less than 5 amps.
RV4/bought 2016/sold/2017
RV8/2018 built/Flying
Cincinnati, OH/KHAO
JAN2019
Old 01-24-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihon_Ni View Post
I'm digging up this old thread because it's the closest answer I've found for my current issue.

I have the FlyBoys heating pads that are yet to be installed in the seats. I have the front seat figured out, but I'm still undecided about the rear seat. I'm considering a few different switch locations and how I'll route wires from the heating elements to the relay, switch, fuse block, etc. but so far I haven't come up with an ideal solution. I want to be able to remove the rear seat easily (or at least the cushions) for luggage loading flexibility, so I don't want to bury the quick disconnect somewhere that's difficult to reach or reconnect.

Does anyone have RV-8 rear seat electric heaters that you could post send me a few photos of how you ran your wires? Seeing a few different solutions would really help me figure this out.

Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks!
Hey Rob, here's how I wired mine up. Placed the relay under the floorboards and installed the control switch on the right side panel. Connections to the seat heaters are finished off with a couple of Molex connectors that end up under the rear seat cushions (one for the bottom seat heater and the other for the back seat heater). I mailed the seat heater pads to Abby at FlightLine Interiors and she installed them into the seats. No issues whatsoever unplugging the connectors and removing the seat cushions. I do that during the annual condition inspection for easy access to the back. I do not have to remove any cushions when placing items in the rear baggage compartment. I do have a removable floor so if you rivet yours down this may not work for you. Hope this helps.

Flying as of August 14, 2015
TN26