VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Electric Seat Heat

I am planning on installing electric seat heat in both seats of the RV8 I am building. I am using the heating elements sold by flyboys. I am currently thinking of installing the seat operating switch in the right side arm rests of the front and rear positions. I am also thinking of putting individual push,pull beakers in each arm rest for the switch ahead of the heater control. My question to the group is what have you done for both the control switch and the breakers? The elements came with inline auto style fuses but I don't think I am going to use those. Photos would be greatly appreciated...
VAF Dues Paid for 2019
Old 12-21-2011, 02:10 PM

In the 7A, I could not find a good place for the Hi-Off-Low switch without rebuilding the entire wire harness. I switched it to HI and stuck it under the seat pan to never be operated again. I ditched the fuse and installed a on-off breaker switch on the panel. The wife is extremely happy. I seldom ever turn it on.
N4IDH

Construction Log
“The secret of getting ahead is getting started. The secret of getting started is breaking your complex overwhelming tasks into small manageable tasks, and then starting on the first one.”

Mark Twain
Old 12-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

I ran the factory inline fuse, and another fuse in a fuse block installed as a sub-panel distribution center for cockpit accessories. Two red wires upper left.

The heat in the pilot seat is out, and I will be replacing the fuse now during my "annual". I will also be deleting the factory inline fuse, as it is too hard to get to, inside my tunnel.

I have to remove the seats to get the top off of the tunnel, lots of work just to replace a fuse.

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."
Old 12-21-2011, 08:41 PM

Default Seat Heat

I installed the Flyboys seat heat in the rear seat only.

I mounted all seat heat components inside the removable side panel under the right armrest, including the hi-lo-off switch (about 2" aft of the leading edge of this panel). Wiring, relay, etc. were mounted with adel clamps. I used stainless screws (for appearance) since the screw heads are visible inside the cockpit.

The connectors to the seatback and bottom cushion exit the panel through a rubber grommet under the right seat belt attach bracket.

I connected tefzel wire from the main bus to the kit harness inside this same panel, so only a few inches of the original kit power supply harness were used. Power and ground wires were routed through the floor using a rubber grommet in the space enclosed by the side panel.

There's plenty of room behind this side panel; I also mounted a TCW Safety Trim module there.

Good luck,
Mike
VAF#1067, EAA Chapter 91
Old 12-21-2011, 08:45 PM

Default Something to think about

When I was building, I thought about putting these in my RV but some member of this forum posted that his Volvo had just caught fire due to a short in the seat heaters and that he almost didn't get stopped in time.

While I like the thought of seat heaters, I don't like the thought of a possible in flight fire.

Just something to think about.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 AM

I run these and love em:
http://www.amazon.com/Powerlet-rapid.../dp/B004MGBSTU
Old 12-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
his Volvo had just caught fire due to a short in the seat heaters
Why didn't his circuit breaker or fuse catch the short? It sounds like there were extenuating circumstances in the Volvo.
www.flyboyaccessories.com
RV and Rocket Accessories, Tailwheels, Tools, & More
1-888-8FLYBOY (1-888-835-9269)

F4 Raider - under construction
F1-H Rocket "Crazy Horse" - sold
RV-4 "Chief Pontiac" - sold
Old 12-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Can anyone running electric seat heaters post the current consumption please. Also do you have any control on the amount of heat being produced? Thanks in advance.
RV-4 s/n 4572 Emp Kit.
RV-3B s/n 11460 Emp Kit. (In storage).
Anthony's RV-4
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 AM

I love my heated seat, it keeps my wife very warm and we hardly ever need to use our heater from engine.

I have installed a circuit breaker for the main power and have two inline fuse for each of the seats. The on/off switches are installed between the seats and have two settings low/high.

IMGP6610 by bavafa1, on Flickr
Dues paid
Old 12-22-2011, 11:50 AM
VAF Moderator / Line Boy

Looks from Mehrdad's switch pictures that we out the same device in our new RV-3. I can check the current consumption next week when we are in the hangar, but if I recall correctly, it's somewhere between three and five amps.

I have used the heater sitting in the hangar on a cool Houston day (40 degrees) setting up avionics (with external power on the airplane), and it is quite toasty!
RV-6 (By Marriage) - N164MS - "Mikey"
RV-3B - N13PL - "Tsamsiyu"
A&P, EAA Tech Counselor/Flight Advisor
Dayton Valley Airpark (A34)
http://Ironflight.com