VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 PM

Default Lower empennage fairings

Anyone else have trouble with the two aluminum strips that are supposed to seal up the gap on the underside of the horizontal stabilizer? I think the plan is to trim these so that they butt up against the underside of the stab.
My problem is that the especially toward the front but most of the way down one side the stabilizer skin the skin doesn't actually overlap the fuselage. Maybe a pic would help, but essentially the fairing piece sits inside the edge of the stabilizer instead of under it.

Anyone else have trouble in this area or have some suggestion about what to do about it?
Old 01-24-2019, 01:41 PM

Donít forget to add the channel rubber trim.

Carl
Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM

You shouldnt have to trim anything. When you add the rubber trim it seals the gap fairly well. Its not perfect, but neither is anything else.

Born to fly, forced to work
Old 01-24-2019, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
Anyone else have trouble with the two aluminum strips that are supposed to seal up the gap on the underside of the horizontal stabilizer? I think the plan is to trim these so that they butt up against the underside of the stab.
My problem is that the especially toward the front but most of the way down one side the stabilizer skin the skin doesn't actually overlap the fuselage. Maybe a pic would help, but essentially the fairing piece sits inside the edge of the stabilizer instead of under it.

Anyone else have trouble in this area or have some suggestion about what to do about it?
We elected not to use the aluminum strips. We installed the rubber channel on underside of the horizontal stabilizer sealing against the fuselage. Very clean and simple. I can send a couple images if that would help.
2019 Dues Paid
A new pilot having fun!
Old 01-24-2019, 08:25 PM

I didnít like the fit of the aluminum fairings so I made new ones in fibreglass.
RV-8 IO375, Hartzell CS, dual PMags.
2019 Donation In
Old 01-25-2019, 08:15 AM

I've considered both of those options, and am leaning toward the fiberglass fairings (reluctantly, as I absolutely hate fiberglass with every "fiber" of my being!)
Old 01-25-2019, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
I've considered both of those options, and am leaning toward the fiberglass fairings (reluctantly, as I absolutely hate fiberglass with every "fiber" of my being!)
Go ahead and make the channel and aluminum fit, then your hate for fiberglass will be eclipsed. Be sure you research what adhesives work with the channel, you can get a small bottle for about $25, oh, and get the primer too.

I made mine fit, but wish I had purchased, or made, some fiberglass fillets. Making your own will ensure a tight fit. IRONFLIGHT has a post (on VAF somewhere) them for an RV4 somewhere. Pretty easy to make, just a lot of steps, as with all glass.

RV-7
1st Flight 1-27-18
Phase II 8-3-18
Repairman 11-15-18
Instrument Currency 12-17-18
Shrunken Exit = ??
No Photo? => PM me.