VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-25-2014, 10:14 AM

I like the exposed/unpainted fastener look…to a point. Dunno about all the rivets on the cap strips, though. I might try to apply some semi-gloss Jetflex over the rivets here with a small paint roller after final assembly (will practice on scrap to see if the rolled paint looks OK).

Anybody here with Jetflex touch-up experience?
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2019
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart

Last edited by rightrudder : 09-25-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
I like the exposed/unpainted fastener look…to a point. Dunno about all the rivets on the cap strips, though. I might try to apply some semi-gloss Jetflex over the rivets here with a small paint roller after final assembly (will practice on scrap to see if the rolled paint looks OK).

Anybody here with Jetflex touch-up experience?
Yes... a small artists brush works... just make sure you wait long enough for it to cure.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 09-25-2014, 05:13 PM

I've touched up some blemishes with my JetFlex WR interior by using a Q-tip as an applicator. The texture isn't as even as spraying, but it is good enough.
APRS Tracking for KJ6YRP and New Flying Blog
2019 VAF donator
EAA Tech Counselor
Old 09-25-2014, 05:17 PM

Perfect….thanks!
Tail number N427DK
Donation made for 2019
You haven't seen a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky -- Amelia Earhart
Old 02-06-2019, 12:51 PM

Default Zolatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpattonsoa View Post
Zolatone for the interior. It is bulletproof, hides all sort of minor sins and fasteners disappear in the pattern.
+1 for the Zolatone. It's somewhat difficult to spray, being thick with chunks in it, but the results are worth it. The first coat puts the base color on and the second coat adds the splatters. I painted my baggage compartment with it probably ten years ago and it has been extremely durable and I like the look. Since that time, I've made some modifications back there and now need to touch them up. Aircraft Spruce only carries gallons, apparently, so I bought a quart ($53) of Apollo Gray from autobodysupply.net. I also bought one of their "ZOLATONE 8209 POWER SPRAY KITS, FOR SPRAYING ZOLATONE COLORS." for $14. I hope it works because I really don't want to use my big gun back there.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:33 PM

Default Paint

Spray the interior as you would normally with a durable, two part catalized paint. After a light primer coat and a heavier top coat, while it is still very tacky turn down the air volume on your gun so it will spit spray the material onto the surface. It will blend and flow into the previously sprayed tacky coat but not flow into it to where it disappears. It creates a very durable coat that has a texture to it. It also is very easy to touch up with a small paint brush downrange should wear areas populate. Years ago I looked at aging Christen Eagles when I was building mine and I decided to do the texture finish. It was a very good decision, and 19 yrs later the plane interior looks great.
You can also wait for the second heavy coat to dry before spit spraying, and it will just have a rougher texture with no flowing into the previously wet paint. I experimented with both and liked the slightly flowed in method better. Lots of compliments on it through the years. I’m certainly no painting expert and I discovered this by accident one day while practicing. Glad I did and I plan on doing it again on my F1.
Good luck with your project!

F