VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 01-25-2019, 09:19 AM

Karl,

Thanks for the info. What are the other three items on that panel? Two of them look like single plug headset jacks, what's the bigger one aft of the seat heat switch?

Do your pad wires just come up under the stick cover console, or is there a hole in the floor for the wires? I was wondering if there would be an issue with running wires under the seat cushion. I could cut a little relief in the foam to create a channel for them to route under, but I wasn't sure if that was necessary.

Looks like you retained all the OEM wiring, is that right? My power wires won't reach the fuse block up front, so I'll probably replace those, but I'm undecided on replacing the others or not.

Thanks!
Rob
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2018
Old 01-25-2019, 03:43 PM

The two additional plugs are LEMO plugs for the Bose A20 headsets. Ships power for the headsets with batteries as a backup. I need to move the rear headset plug to the fuselage rib to prevent any rear seat passengers from accidentally damaging the plug when they slide their right foot into the footwell. Just haven't gotten around to doing that.

The large plug is a power plug for iPad in flight entertainment. It's a higher quality motorcycle power plug that comes with a dust cover. I put one in the forward cockpit too, next to the seat heat control, fire extinguisher and canopy breaker tool.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/product/ci...-mount-kit-48/

I did retain most of the original wiring harness for the seat heaters. Like you mentioned, the power and ground wires will not reach the fuse panel so I replaced those. I have a separate fuse for each seat heater set.

Pad wires come up under the stick cover. I cut a small relief channel for the wires. No modification was made to the bottom seat cushions.
Flying as of August 14, 2015

Last edited by Carlos151 : 01-25-2019 at 03:45 PM. Reason: More info
Old 01-25-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightlogic View Post
If your seat is on fire, and you have not turned it off.... you get a D minus for situational awareness. ...
You are assuming the fire goes out when the power is cut.

I would want to do a flame test on an extra set of seat cushions and the seat covering.

Not to mention any noxious fumes that may come from the electrical components / wires.

I get it, like you my wife does not put up with the cold. To solve this, I had some removable wool seat covers made. They work great in the summer or winter.
Build the plane you want, not the plane others want you to build!
SC86 - Easley, SC
www.repucci.com/bill/baf.html
Old 01-25-2019, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N941WR View Post
I get it, like you my wife does not put up with the cold. To solve this, I had some removable wool seat covers made. They work great in the summer or winter.
I guess I never realized how lucky I am. Mine came from Minnesnowda and lives in Texas. She just puts on more layers. "Don't need all that stuff that would burn more fuel."
RV8 Building - fuselage / showplanes canopy (Done!)
Old 01-26-2019, 08:03 PM

Thanks Karl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos151 View Post
The two additional plugs are LEMO plugs for the Bose A20 headsets. Ships power for the headsets with batteries as a backup. I need to move the rear headset plug to the fuselage rib to prevent any rear seat passengers from accidentally damaging the plug when they slide their right foot into the footwell. Just haven't gotten around to doing that.

The large plug is a power plug for iPad in flight entertainment. It's a higher quality motorcycle power plug that comes with a dust cover. I put one in the forward cockpit too, next to the seat heat control, fire extinguisher and canopy breaker tool.

http://www.bikerhiway.com/product/ci...-mount-kit-48/

I did retain most of the original wiring harness for the seat heaters. Like you mentioned, the power and ground wires will not reach the fuse panel so I replaced those. I have a separate fuse for each seat heater set.

Pad wires come up under the stick cover. I cut a small relief channel for the wires. No modification was made to the bottom seat cushions.
Tail kit completed on Feb 8, 2012 (180 hrs)
Wing kit mostly completed, fuselage under construction as of March 6, 2014 (750 hrs)
Paid up for 2018