What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron rivets

Fly4Funn

Can someone tell me the part number for the pop rivets used to close up the bottom of the aileron? Out of all the plans, I cannot find the sheet, 31 I think, that has the aileron on it. Thanks!

Don't know about sheet 31, but on my Drawing 13A for RV-4,7,8 dated 3/5/03, on the middle part between the two stiffeners it says "BOTTOM OF AILERON: CS4-4 ALL A-802PP TO A-801 TO A-403PP BLIND RIVETS"

Which would be the same as for the skin to the counterbalance tube.

Also, as I nearly did a small mistake myself on my 2nd aileron....
All the CS4-4 rivets (in the skin and counterbalance) and the other flush rivets (outer ribs) on the bottom skin goes in when the aileron is weighted down laying on a flat surface upside down. This is to make it flat and straight as an arrow.

I had a hard time finding a flat surface in my house and ended using a friends granite countertop.

I do remember that. I'm building mine a second time. Remember the old saying measure twice, cut once? Well I got a new one. Read twice, build once. I missed the part that said to be sure the tooling holes in the end ribs are closer to the bottom. Yes even with a 50% chance of being right, mine got the wrong 50%. Once mounted, the leading edge of the aileron was about a 1/4 lower than the flap. :mad: :D

Yea, that's the old 50/50/90 rule; you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right but 90% of the time you get it wrong...

Back