What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Update Map data at OSH?

MS19087

Well Known Member
Garmin's current map cycle expires on 7/25. I'll be flying to OSH with my 796 and don't want to carry my cradle to do an onsite update. Anyone know if I'll be able to find a place (GARMIN stand?) to do my monthly update?

Any of the multitudes of avionics vendors in the big hangars: A, B, C or D or the Jeppesen tent can update it.

I used to always get my portable GPS updated at one of the avionics vendors in the hangars, in the past there would always be one of them that was $5 cheaper than the rest, and there would be a big long waiting line there. In the past two years, all of them have had uniform pricing... no more extra discount to be found anywhere at Oshkosh, so for more convenience I have just been dropping my GPS off at the Jeppesen tent and pick it up a couple hours later when its ready while I go eat lunch, go shopping at the Fly Market, and wander around the big ABCD hangars.

Pricing?? I already have a subscription . . .

just want to log-in and update. Will they charge me for that service if I already have a valid subscription?

Thanks!

Available 7/19

The cycle that starts 7/26/12 will be available later this week (7/19).

Not sure how it works on the 796, but for my 696 I have to download the update to a SD memory card and then put the updated card in the 696. The 696 then loads the data from the card.

The cards are cheap enough that I leave the current one in the 696 and load the update on the spare. Then it's just a quick card swap when I want to update the 696.

For some reason the 796 still requires a USB cable and a computer to update. The SD card slot does not do much at this time.

Not sure why but that is the way it is.

I do not use the cradle, just plug in the USB cord and update.

My subscription for my GNS530W expired in June and when I called Jep to renew, I was told I would be better off to purchase a month subscription and than renew for a year at Oshkosh since they will be running a special. They also said I can get my card updated there as well.

Now I just need to get my Garmin firmware & TAS updated. That is getting to be more of a challenge and I hope that Garmin might be able to do it at Oshkosh, but not holding my breath.

July 26 Database Cycle for Aera 796

Garmin's current map cycle expires on 7/25. I'll be flying to OSH with my 796 and don't want to carry my cradle to do an onsite update. Anyone know if I'll be able to find a place (GARMIN stand?) to do my monthly update?

Hi Mark,

The 1208 database cycle (2012 Jul 26 - 2012 Aug 22) is available now to install if you are still able to connect and update before you leave for OSH.

Thanks,
Steve

The Nav database is available, but NOT the chart database, at least for the 696.
The Jepp Nav database is available. I just updated mine as well as everything for the 696 (except charts).

Updated my 796 today

The Nav database is available, but NOT the chart database, at least for the 696.
The Jepp Nav database is available. I just updated mine as well as everything for the 696 (except charts).

But same with the 796, chart database not yet available.

Back