What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hardware and E-LSA

Lititzflyer

I'm New Here
This might be a stupid question, however, I'm gonna ask. I'm building an RV-12 (at the emmpenage stage). Do I have to purchase any replacement hardware (ie nutplates, rivets, washers, nuts, etc) directly from Van's to keep my build E-LSA eligible. Or, can I purchase these sorts of things from other sources such as Aircraft Spruce or Wick's?

Thanks!

Kevin
(Dues paid 5/15)

No such thing as a stupid question...

Its a regulatory question that Mel or someone more expert than me should answer. I would think you have to, in order to get proof from Van's at the end of the project to satisfy the DAR.

But practically speaking, Van's provides the exact (+ ~10%) hardware you need with each sub-kit. Lots and lots of very specific items in small quantities that most suppliers would not provide at such low prices. The initial H/W order that you probably have by now, has enough LP4-3 rivets for the entire kit. If you are like most of us, you might buy additional hardware to "fix" mistakes from time to time, but I found Van's prices are very competitive and they will ship you small quantities.

You can get it from anywhere. You are supposed to build the plane exactly like the S-LSA model to get e certificate from Van's that says it conforms, but Van's gives the certificate if you buy all of the kits from them. Spare hardware can come from anywhere.

I guess I was asking because I noticed a couple of items weren't listed in the online store list. But, I was still curious about the regs. Thanks for your input.

Kevin

I guess I was asking because I noticed a couple of items weren't listed in the online store list. But, I was still curious about the regs. Thanks for your input.

Kevin

Their web store doesn't list all of the parts that are available. Just enter the part # in the store search window and it will likely appear for you.

Back