What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage door for RV-7 or RV-9,ever been one?

ron sterba

Well Known Member
Found getting something out of the baggage area of his RV9A is a task! like a Ipad laying on the floor. Has Vans ever had a design for the door idea on the side?

Ron in Oregon RV9A

I have a 9A slider and installed a canopy tilt mechanism that easily allows easy access to baggage compartment. This is a great option for slider canopies because we don't have the rollbar that the stock tilt canopies do so we can easily reach into the baggage compartment when the canopy is closed or easily drop things in when the canopy is tilted open.

Side baggage

I've seen one RV-6 with side baggage but know nothing about how it was done.Suspect some pretty stiff doublers where the hole was cut.

I've got one and love it!

When I built my six that was one of my requirements. I built one out of aluminum that is a very strong box structure. 1100 hours on it and absolutely love it. It is built in a frame on all four sides so as not to weaken the the aircraft structure. At over 200# I am able to get my whole body through the door. I would post pic's but never have. My six is on the cover page of the 2014 Van's Calendar and the outline of the door can faintly be seen.

Steve

Back