What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Eagles Nest #4 Question on wings

kbehrent

Well Known Member
A couple of us mentors helping on Eagles Nest #4 are a little confused on some steps in the wing plans that could use some enlightenment.:)

In Section 13-03 Step 3, the plans call for riveting the W-1206K Attach Angle (4 remaining holes) to the W-1206B Spar Stub Doubler on the Right Wing. The reference to Figure 2 for the Right Wing has a callout to use LP4-3 rivets.

However, the NOTE found in Section 15-06 Step 7 says to "Use LP4-4 for attaching W-1210 Main Ribs to W-1206-R Main Spar Assembly". The blowup of picture depicted in in Figure 2 shows the most inboard main rib. It clearly shows to use LP4-3 to rivet the Main Rib to the Attach Angle, but what is the NOTE to use LP4-4 referring too? Also, the rivet callouts in Section 13-03 Figure 3 shows that there are only 3 holes that require LP4-4 rivets on the most inboard side on the W-1206-L (Left Wing Only).

So, what is the note referring to and is the LP4-4 callout correct?

Trying to get an answer before the kids show up 3pm PST.

Thanks,
Kevin

Wing rib question

Seven of the W-1210-L Main Ribs will still have their forward flanges, Step 2, 15-03. Those ribs with forward flanges will be riveted to the W-1206-R Main Spar Assembly with the LP4-4.

I hope I am understanding the question.

Tony

Ditto

Tony beat me to it. Disregard the issue from 13-03...it's not related.

It?s all about that end flange on some of the ribs?the ones you did NOT trim off back on Page 15-03 Steps 2 and 3. Anywhere you rivet the end flange through the main spar web, you use LP4-4 due to the greater thickness of the main spar. This is the case whether it?s the main ribs (forward flange) or the nose ribs (aft flange).

Tony, John

Thanks for the explanation. I was mistaking the riveting callouts in Section 1302 as the callout for all the ribs to the spar. Got the magnify glass out and saw the dots for the other ribs. I sure like the plans for the RV-12, but sometimes the larger prints on my RV-9A were better. :D

rule #3

Tony, John

Thanks for the explanation. I was mistaking the riveting callouts in Section 1302 as the callout for all the ribs to the spar. Got the magnify glass out and saw the dots for the other ribs. I sure like the plans for the RV-12, but sometimes the larger prints on my RV-9A were better. :D

You've tripped over Rule #3. I discovered (the hard way) that it's easy to bring my own assumptions and preconceptions to the "reading of the plans".
Rule #1 - Read the instructions.
Rule #2 - Read them again. Note carefully the circles, lines, and expanded views, quantities, etc.
Rule # 3 - If it all seems clear...take a break, then look again with fresh eyes a little later. Read the instructions again. Count the holes, # of rivets, screws, etc. If you catch yourself thinking "It's just like the other one, other side, etc."...challenge that assumption. Proceed to Rule # 4.
Rule # 4 - (you know)
Agree, the 12 has great plans. It's just that I know so much already! <grin>.

Back