What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT HXr

RV8iator

Well Known Member
Benefactor
I have been extremely pleased with my GRT Sport SX since I installed it. The GRT products and support have been second to none for me.

When I saw the 10.4" HXr I thought "I NEED that".

With the help of good friend James "CB" Clark we tackled the project last week and 3 days later I had my NEED fixed.

I have to say, I'm impressed with everything about it. I still have to learn a little new "buttonology" and get a few final details in the setup corrected, but when we powered up and the smoke stayed in the wires on the first try I was one happy camper.

I already had a Dynon D10A as a backup AHRS and I put in a D1 pocket panel as a third backup AHRS. The HXr controls my SL30 perfectly, weather and traffic are available, ADSb out so I'm in the system. GNC300XL for GPS approaches. Just wish I "NEEDED" a GTN650 but I'm one happy camper now.

Here are a couple photos.

Here in flight, synthetic vision is going to be great. Looks like the Shuttle. Lots to play with. Note to self.. look outside!

8333469425_7a4b410f71_b.jpg

Synthetic vision with north Georgia hills showing. D10A in HSI mode. Lots of options!

8333542291_3dda09831f_b.jpg

Powered down. Clean installation.

8334527312_1627b15bed_b.jpg

Also notice on the clip in the upper right my drink order form from the Acapulco Princess Hotel and resort. I love these airplanes!

Last edited:
Nice job Widget - I really like the overall look!

Thanks Paul. Since the first time I saw the "Valkyrie" panel, I new I had to have one like it. Hope you and Louise have a Happy New Year. Looking forward to seeing you guys soon.

Widget, when you get all those remote radios and things wired in that GRT is gonna control from a single screen, you wont need the entire left side of the panel. Hmm. Lets see. What can we put there? There has to be some more electronic thingies you need.

Nah, the SL30 is the only thing I have that will remote from the GRT so Slinky is saved from me getting more "stuff" for that side..

Now though, the GRT can be my primary radio freq selector and the GNC300 will be relegated to #2 radio duty.

Looks good Jerry! The HXr installed quicker than I would have imagined. Enjoy!

You almost don't have to "look outside" anymore with GRT in the panel. Nice work.

BTW, there is an -8 in South Africa that is fitting two 10.4 HXr in the panel. I can't wait to see that one.

Regards,

Carlos Fernandez
International Sales
GRT Avionics

Last edited:
My wife was saddened to hear that Jerry's eyesight had gotten to the point that he needed such a large screen. :eek:

Well, at least I know the correct path to take in the future.

I have been extremely pleased with my GRT Sport SX since I installed it. The GRT products and support have been second to none for me.

When I saw the 10.4" HXr I thought "I NEED that".

With the help of good friend James "CB" Clark we tackled the project last week and 3 days later I had my NEED fixed.

I have to say, I'm impressed with everything about it. I still have to learn a little new "buttonology" and get a few final details in the setup corrected, but when we powered up and the smoke stayed in the wires on the first try I was one happy camper.

I already had a Dynon D10A as a backup AHRS and I put in a D1 pocket panel as a third backup AHRS. The HXr controls my SL30 perfectly, weather and traffic are available, ADSb out so I'm in the system. GNC300XL for GPS approaches. Just wish I "NEEDED" a GTN650 but I'm one happy camper now.

Here are a couple photos.

Here in flight, synthetic vision is going to be great. Looks like the Shuttle. Lots to play with. Note to self.. look outside!

8333469425_7a4b410f71_b.jpg

Synthetic vision with north Georgia hills showing. D10A in HSI mode. Lots of options!

8333542291_3dda09831f_b.jpg

Powered down. Clean installation.

8334527312_1627b15bed_b.jpg

Also notice on the clip in the upper right my drink order form from the Acapulco Princess Hotel and resort. I love these airplanes!

Hey, whats up with that Team RV decal?

Nice. I'm hopefully only a month behind you, and I know if one going into a new build-7 at Tara...

That's one incredibly capable panel.

It really is a leap forward. We just always have to remember the capabilities of the pilot and the plane too. Comes back to the old adage, "Know your limitations"

Nice panel!
How do you like the little Dynon pocket panel? I like the idea of it as a stby, but is it worth it?

It really is a leap forward. We just always have to remember the capabilities of the pilot and the plane too. Comes back to the old adage, "Know your limitations"

Yep...the weather this morning between here and Camp LeJeune was beyond my comfort zone, so my wife is driving her son back up there as we speak.

Sure looks good Jerry...amazing screen shot of the mountains outside!

Best,

I'm putting one in my -6 this month, if I can ever get loose from work enough to get at it.

Nice panel!
How do you like the little Dynon pocket panel? I like the idea of it as a stby, but is it worth it?

It works really well. Where mine is located so far I have not dropped GPS signal and I'm only using the internal GPS. I'll fly it some more in the weather and see if it stays locked on. If it doesn't it comes with a puck but my antennae farm on the glareshield is getting full.

Also, in my setup, it a no sh#t backup as I'll have to have a failure of both the GRT and the Dynon AHRS. It may happen but I like the odds. It does give me a 2 out of 3 scenario though which I like.

I did however remove my 496 so that's one less antennae and xm receiver.

As far as is it worth it.. it was to me, but I got a nice deal on the unit here on the VAF site.

Back