What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1 lb propane cylinder

odens_14

Well Known Member
I'm going on my first airplane camping trip this weekend and have a question. My camping stove uses a 1lb propane cylinder, which has a warning label not to bring on an airplane, is this something I have to worry about or just a general warning not to bring on an airliner? I'll be flying upwards of 10k heading to West Yellowstone and would hate to have it explode or have a valve blow out in the baggage area. Anyone have any experience here?

I think I am qualified to answer that question...............

The problem you will have with that cylinder is if you leave it in the aircraft with the canopy closed. Heat will cause the propane to expand. And excessive heat will cause the relief valve to release the pressure before the cylinder splits open.

If you can find BUTANE for camp stoves it will work just fine above about 40 deg F. and have a much lower storage pressure.........

Example..... at 60 deg. Propane pressure is 92.5 psi. Butane pressure is 11.5 psi.
at 100 deg. Propane pressure is 172.3 psi. Butane pressure is 37.0 psi.

A cook stove requires less than1/2 pound of pressure (11" wc) to operate. Butane will be at 0 psi. at 32 deg. F.

CAUTION!! In a closed canopy on a 80 deg. F day, the pressure will exceed the capacity of the relief valve and gas will escape from the container. If there is a source of ignition, your aircraft will be........................... well, you get the picture.

This is why I use and recommend a white gas stove. A bit old school but in all the backpacking I've done, from -5*F to over 13,000' feet, out of the group I hike with I'm the only one who has not had a stove failure.

My preference is the Colman Exponent Multi Fuel Stove. The reason is simple, it works and there are no parts to get lost or clogged with dirt.

I'm with Bill (if not a bit "older school"). My camping stove is still the Svea !
823cf3c067a029088d640ab33c419e22.jpg

it runs on just about anything including AvGas :)

I'm with Bill on liking white gas (or multi-fuel) stoves. no issues of pressure bottles, and growing up camping in Minnesota, in the winter, they were the only thing that would light- you had to sleep with the pressure bottle fuel cans in your sleeping bag in order to get them to light in the morning. And the multi-fuels fork with whatever flammable liquid you can find....pretty much (haven't actually tried 100LL...)..

Paul

Glen,

Those are also great stoves!

Paul is correct, you have to keep those cans of fuel warm so they will light. The other problem is that unless you weigh them, you don't know how much is left.

+1 on SVEA, although they are relatively hard to find these days. Look online.

I simply drain some fuel from the tank. Note that lead plugs the orifice once you shut it down. There's a simple cure, though: each stove comes with a tool to clean the orifice, and as long as you use it at the end of each session (or before the next one), there is no problem.

Whisperlite International

It will burn white gas, jet A, avgas, mogas, fuel oil... remarkable little stove. As stated above, propane stoves are useless in cold weather but my Whisperlite has never failed me.

41ysFA4rwBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on SVEA, although they are relatively hard to find these days. Look online.

I simply drain some fuel from the tank. Note that lead plugs the orifice once you shut it down. There's a simple cure, though: each stove comes with a tool to clean the orifice, and as long as you use it at the end of each session (or before the next one), there is no problem.

You shouldn't cook with 100LL as you will be eating Pasta LL.

It will burn white gas, jet A, avgas, mogas, fuel oil... remarkable little stove...
See note above about losing and clogging parts.

+1 on SVEA, although they are relatively hard to find these days...
Ya just gotta know where to look. Campmor.com has them.

Bill;
One small correction on the Coleman Exponent Multifuel stove :)
They DO have a loose part: The Kerosene generator.
That generator makes it a true multi fuel stove, and My first choice as well.
Oh, and an other little Coleman bit;
My dad always had coleman gas lanterns, early on I got into propane lanterns, then Iso-propane lanterns because they are quieter.
Then I got interested in Kerosene pressure lanterns, with all the Petromax lore, Brytelite etc. I did a lot of research, ending up on a lantern guild website, the Coleman large Kerosene lantern was rated the safest.
Yes you need to pre heat the generator with alcohol, which you can buy by the pint at any hardwae store. White gas stoves and lanterns are a bit toxic and shouldn't be used indoors, whereas the Kerosene burners are a bit safer, although you would still want good ventillation.

I still use the SVEA's also. If you dont have the external pump though they kinda peter out above 11,000ft. So if you're gonna camp high (or make coffee in the airplane) I like the exponents & feather colemans.

I've backpacked up to 13,000+ with an MSR whisperlite, using Coleman white gas in a fuel bottle, and had no issues. Can't imagine any problems flying with the same stuff at even higher altitudes. I doubt if the propane canisters would be any different at altitude unless they were really, really, really hot, which is unlikely at high altitude.

Propane fine

I've used these for years with no problems. As noted, you want to avoid the heat as much as possible. I will say however, that they survive the heat of my garage fine. My garage has been over 100 for a few months now.

I'm not a fan of carrying any flammable liquid in the aircraft. Except maybe the Scotch for around the campfire.

Homey is a wussy when it comes to cold, so you won't find me camping if the temperature is going below 50:D

I bought a white gas stove to keep warm when i sold news papers at a news stand in Rockford, Il when i was was 12-15. I still have the stove and it still works great 40 years later.

Homey is a wussy when it comes to cold, so you won't find me camping if the temperature is going below 50:D

There you are! They say everyone has a polar opposite in this world and I just found mine! Other than Oshkosh, which exists on a different metaphysical plane, I see no reason at all to camp when temps are not going to reach below 50deg, preferably colder. What use is a fire when it's hot? What is the point of sipping that fine scotch while sweating and smacking mosquitos? No sir, give me cold nights and crisp mornings and elk bugling in the distance. Now that is camping....and it's about a month away! Woohoo!!

There you are! They say everyone has a polar opposite in this world and I just found mine! Other than Oshkosh, which exists on a different metaphysical plane, I see no reason at all to camp when temps are not going to reach below 50deg, preferably colder. What use is a fire when it's hot? What is the point of sipping that fine scotch while sweating and smacking mosquitos? No sir, give me cold nights and crisp mornings and elk bugling in the distance. Now that is camping....and it's about a month away! Woohoo!!
It must me a Colorado thing. I'm with you Bill. I have a 40 year old Optimus stove that's cooked my meals at 13,000 feet at almost 40 below. (not that I prefer it to be THAT cold).It runs fine on 100LL. I used it for three weeks in Alaska burning nothing but Avgas and it never clogged. A wonderful peice of equipment. Elk camp, here I come.

It will burn white gas, jet A, avgas, mogas, fuel oil... remarkable little stove. As stated above, propane stoves are useless in cold weather but my Whisperlite has never failed me.

41ysFA4rwBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I used one of these for the first time at AirVenture this year. Great little stove! Used it to make coffee and breakfast a few mornings.

Back