What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AvMAP EKP-IV Weather

I couldn't make Oshkosh this year. I called customer service, if and when they will have weather capabilities for the AvMap EKP-IV, They had a prototype unit with weather at Oshkosh. Has anyone seen the demo at OSH.

Bill Souza
RV-7A QB
XPIO-360,FI, Garmin Stack
N279RB Reserved
70% Complete
Accurate Machine Co.
Lancaster,CA.

I saw it. It looked really good to me, but I haven't used weather on a Garmin unit and haven't used a EKP-IV GPS before so I'm not a good source for comparing their features or usability.

It's certainly near the top of my list for gps units. One nice thing is that you can buy the gps now and then add the weather later without buying a whole new gps unit. According to the fela I talked to at Oshkosh, the weather unit plugs into the back of the EKP IV.

Guy

I used my EKP-IV going to OSH (and coming home) and saw the weather demo. It looked good! I talked to their U.S. sales manager a couple of days ago and he said that it should be ready in September. They are also coming out with a cheaper unit with weather, about $900 for the package. Weather I would guess would plug into the USB port near where the antenna plugs in, but I didn't check that at OSH. It is going to cost something like $400 for the add-on.

Like my IV and find it reliable. It does have a fairly steep learning curve to get the most out of it, but I think they all do. The company has been very prompt in helping me with a problem I had with it talking to my Trio AP. They sent me a free upgrade for my trouble. No complaints here, except the weather is taking too long!

Bob Kelly

Bob,

Would love to tlak to you about the TRIO issue and the Avmap IV............can you give me a number to call you?

Dean RV10
402-560-9755

I saw the demo at Osh and was ready to buy one of their units if it looked good.
Weather will probably be available in Sept, but all of the other options will be coming up over time. So, that will take at least a year and may have bugs.
I liked their unit since there is limited space in the RV8 and wanted to use it as a knee board type unit.
I decided to get a 496.

Back