What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A MN to FL to TX Advice

macrafic

Well Known Member
Headed to Daytona in Feb for NASCAR race from MN

1. Advice for airports to consider in Daytona. Prefer hangared but willing to consider tie-down.
2. Advice for circumventing all the various area spaces in Florida leading up to Daytona from the NW (MN). I am IFR rated. Is that the easiest way?
3. Flying to Pecan Plantation south of Dallas from Daytona after the race. Even more restricted/MOA/other airspace?s to manage than flying to FL! Advice?

There's not much restricted space in Florida. If you're worried about the panhandle transition you can stay a little north in Georgia before heading southeast, or read the eglin transition breifing and take the coastal route. On the east side, if you want to avoid everything just stay north of the Dayton and transition down the coast. It's almost all class d, so stay above 5k and you'll miss 95% of the airspace restrictions.

DeLand, New Smyrna, Spruce Creek...

Grew up in DeLand - KDED, and fly my RV over there at least once a year. 20 minute drive to the track at Daytona. Never a problem getting KDED tiedown space. There is an EAA chapter there you might contact to check on hanger space. Daily skydiving at DeLand as well as GA flying. Entire area full of Embry Riddle students working on flight ratings. TAKE FLIGHT FOLLOWING from Daytona Approach and JAX Center.

There are VAF members at New Smyrna and Spruce Creek that should also have advice....

From FL to TX I fly V198 from MAI to SJI, again with FLIGHT FOLLOWING, and never have an issue. I dial into the autopilot an offset of 1.2 to 1.6 miles right of the airway so I?m not flying within 3 meters of centerline, and likely won?t meet up with opposite direction traffic.

Stopped at KCEW for weather delay, nice FBO, courtesy car, etc. but might be a daytime only facility....

1R8 and KJKA sometimes? have complimentary lunch buffets, because of military pilot trainees who purchase lots of JetA.

My favorite stops between HOU and DED are KMJD and 2J9. Both relatively quiet airports with SelfServe.

Carl

Other good places are:

Flagler Executive (KFIN) airport. Close to Daytona, easy access, rental cars at the airport and inexpensive fuel. Overnight tie-down fee is only $10/day (one day waived with fuel purchase), hangar space is available if wanted and the best airport restaurant in the world, Highjackers, is there.

New Smyrna Beach (KEVB) airport. Even closer to Daytona with rental cars, two great restaurants Lost Lagoon and Airgate Cafe at the airport.

:cool:

Back