What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size of N number

The 3" numbers are OK if you don't plan to fly outside the US. Otherwise you need the 12" ones. Part 45, subpart C has the details.

Last edited:
Not really "Outside the US"

" ... you?ll need 12-inch numbers to penetrate the Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ) that surrounds the United States."

So, as examples, if flying to the Bahamas, 12" required - can be temporary - See Rosie's trip reports to the islands. If flying to Canada, directly from the US, no ADIZ, so 3" numbers are fine.

Agree that referencing the regulations is the thing to do.

Best regards,

Merrill

Until its painted, I just want to put stick on lettering for the phase one. So the 3 inch is good. When its painted we plan to go the 12 inch lettering.

Are the 3 inch letter size for the N number ok for the -10, or do you need 12 inch.

12 inch required if 181 knot cruse or over. 3 inch not allowed under horizontal stab, or on rudder.

Caution with thickness of number and spacing.

12 inch required if 181 knot cruse or over. 3 inch not allowed under horizontal stab, or on rudder.

Caution with thickness of number and spacing.

3" IS allowed on rudder! It is not allowed under the horizontal stabilizer if it's on the fuselage.

Last edited:
Until its painted, I just want to put stick on lettering for the phase one. So the 3 inch is good. When its painted we plan to go the 12 inch lettering.

That's exactly what I did. I used boat registration decals on the VS for 2 years until it was painted.

Good info. If I dont paint for a while, do you do anything with the aluminum for protection. The fiberglass will be epoxy wipped, but not primed.

N Numbers

I have flown in the Bahamas and Mexico with my 3" tail number markings without a problem.

Stashed in the back of the plane I have 12" numbers if I get questioned and can put them on in a pinch.

I have flown in the Bahamas and Mexico with my 3" tail number markings without a problem.

Stashed in the back of the plane I have 12" numbers if I get questioned and can put them on in a pinch.
I don't think 3" numbers are a problem in Mexico or The Bahamas. The issue is the requirement for 12" numbers to penetrate US ADIZ both outbound and inbound.

Back