What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Suggestion to Vans: RV Bush/STOL

grayforge

Well Known Member
I'm getting along in my 7A's build process and am already thinking about my next kit. Maybe an 8 since it's really sweet looking, though the performance wouldn't be much different from the 7's. I could go fiberglass (Glasair III), but again, another fast(er) aerobatic bird.

Then I started looking at completely different planes, something that could get us into mountain meadows, Oregon beaches or creek beds. Like the Super STOL or Carbon Cub.

This seems to be a big trend in the industry. Look at Glasair Aviation... They're hardly paying attention to the Glasair II and III any more. It's all Sportsman.

Then I thought... Wouldn't it be great if Vans built a bush plane kit?! The value of their kits coupled with the clarity of their instructions would make for an amazing kit.

Vans, I hope you're thinking of this!

Russ

Note to Vans... Make sure the doors are removable and the plane can fly with them. Please! :D

Anyone notice my signature?

RVBush

Doesn't it exist? lol

RV%2BBush%2B2.jpg

...it's....aliiiiiiive!!!!

Yes, another great RV thread, resurfacing just for fun!

so, I gotta say, if you've ever pushed a plane around in the mud, or near a dock, you probly wanna keep the struts.
Good place to mount cameras, hang canoes, snowshoes etc. :)

I agree, the fuselage and cabin of the -14 approaches the Sportsman in volume, with the -10 wing overhead, you'd have a serious hauler.

Just sayin'.

( note: the bonus would be ending the slider vs tipper controversy, at least for one model.
hmmm, should the doors hinge up, or down, or swing......aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!! not again!!!!)

Perry - not trying to start an argument here, just to get informed... You mention the -14 cabin volume is approaching that of the Sportsman. I just can't see how this is so. Perhaps you could enlighten me, please?

BTW, just for fun a week or two ago I thought I'd see if I can get 8 foot long building material into our Sportsman. Yup - getting 2x4's in is not a problem. While I couldn't load full 4x8 sheets of plywood I could certainly load half sheets (2'x8').

I have never been near a -10 with a tape measure but suspect the -10 dimensions are closer to those of the Sportsman than the -14.

Also, the earlier comments on strut-braced wings certainly hold true for bush operations, especially on floats. If I'm not mistaken some of our CASARA (civilian SAR) use a directional antenna strapped onto the strut of a 172 or 182 for ELT searches. Yup, struts are a pain on some airplanes, but on others they add great utility. BTW, the way the Sportsman struts are oriented, and with the cabin doors which fold fully forward, accessing the cockpit is quite a bit easier than most of the Cessna's that many folks may have previously experienced.

I should also mention the rear cargo door of the Sportsman is easily removable and you can fly without it. Former "Kitplanes" editor Marc Cook had installed a single rear-facing seat in his Sportsman - it made for an excellent photographer's vantage point. As a result, Marc used his Sportsman many times as a photo ship for some of the great glossies that appeared in "Kitplanes" magazine.

A bush plane that is easier to design would be an RV-9, with a taller and stiffer flat landing gear, so it can handle larger wheels and tires with more prop clearance.

Beef up the landing gear area and plan on an O-360.

Add an external baggage compartment door.

Maybe extend the flaps a bit.

And that's about all Van's would have to do.

Dave

A bush plane that is easier to design would be an RV-9, with a taller and stiffer flat landing gear, so it can handle larger wheels and tires with more prop clearance.

Beef up the landing gear area and plan on an O-360.

Add an external baggage compartment door.

Maybe extend the flaps a bit.

And that's about all Van's would have to do.

Dave

Been there, done some of that. Low-wing airplane in the bush or on floats is not ideal for obstacle clearance, FOD on rocky landing areas and docking.

Greg

Bush plane is the desire. High wing just comes with it. You'd also want gear that can take hard landings, like the Super STOL's with hydraulic struts.

Instead of Tip Up or Slider, the question would be: Slats or Not?

I suppose there could still be the Trike or Tail Dragger question.

Then there's covering: Fabric or Aluminum?

It already exists on the market - Bearhawk or Bearhawk Patrol. Forget who they said from Van's that is building one.

Now adding the level of integration of the kit process typical of the later designs would be a value add but hard to see how a lot could be improved upon the original designs in this case.

So the best option IF Van's decided to go that route would be to buy the rights to the design and buy out the company that is producing the kits, do the Van's kit process treatment on them, and expand their market.

But I think the chances of that happening is somewhere around zero. With the work to be done getting the -14 finished and the continued growth of the -12 LSA market they've got enough to worry about. I expect the very hard decision to end support for new kits for the -4 to be made in not too distant future. What did Van say recently - only something like a dozen new -4 starts last year? The Brazilian company built 360 RV-10's last year. Do the math and follow the money. That is how the company stays healthy.

But I like the idea of the Bearhawk Patrol. I want to build one someday in my dreams.

There are lots of nice Bush planes out there, but yes, which, if any are as complete as Vans kits and have as comprehensive manuals, plans and support?

Sure seems to be a growing market. Vans could probably grow there as long as it's not saturated yet.

Back