What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Change from ELSA to EAB?

DonFromTX

Well Known Member
Someone asked me how complacated this change is, and I had to admit I had no idea. Has anyone done it lately?

Cannot be done!
No build requirement for ELSA.
51% amateur-built requirement for EAB.

Maybe he meant from S-LSA to E-LSA?

If he indeed meant S-LSA to E-LSA, the process is very similar to an original E-LSA. If no changes have been made to the aircraft and it still meets it's S-LSA requirements, then no new phase I is required. If mods have been done or if the aircraft no longer meets it's S-LSA requirements, then a new 5 hour minimum phase I is required.

No, I meant from ELSA to EAB. Apparently there is a general feeling that after certification you cannot make all the changes that you could if it was EAB. I thought they were both experimental, so there was no difference. Am I correct?

No, I meant from ELSA to EAB. Apparently there is a general feeling that after certification you cannot make all the changes that you could if it was EAB. I thought they were both experimental, so there was no difference. Am I correct?

You cannot change from ELSA to EAB. Once ELSA is certificated, you may make any changes you wish as long as the change does not take the aircraft out of light-sport parameters. With EAB, you can make changes before certification.

The difference is that with EAB, you can make changes that take the aircraft out of LSA parameters. Of course those changes will make the aircraft "off limits" to a sport pilot.
With ELSA those changes would make the airworthiness invalid.

Back