What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New toy for my 12

I plan on something similar Jack. Can you include me on the diagram and info?

Thanks,

Bob

bob @ rv-12.net

Just to add to Jack's findings with dual SkyViews.

We now have around 100 hrs on ours without any issues.

Our normal mode is to operate with both SVs on all the time and the electric fuel pump off during the cruise. Typically we see around 12A of alternator output during cruise. We have lights and often leave the landing light on - be safe be seen...

Nav/com is an SL30 and we have a PS Engineering intercom.

The Rotax alternator does seem to behave a bit like a generator at times - ie output varying with rpm. The main time you see this is on take off or during a touch and go when the rpm goes from idle to max in a couple of seconds. At this time, Savvy Analysis shows a spike in the alternator output of no more than 17A for a nano second.

The two screens work well for us - we also tend to use the P1 screen for PFD and EMS (50/50) and the P2 screen for full page map. There are three of us who own and fly the aircraft and often fly together (two out of the three....) so it's handy to hand over control as and when and swap screen displays.

We have PocketFMS airfield charts USB on the P2 display although this can be changed over in flight.

Works a treat so far and compared to many Rotax powered certified aircraft using standard lights and landing lamps, the lights load is very small in comparison (landing light 1A against 10A for instance).

I appreciate Van's concerns over maxing out the alternator but so far so good - all the evidence is we are well below the limit for 99% of the time.

We do not tend to use the 12v power socket at all - no need to charge an iPad for instance given we have two 10" of screens to provide all the info we need.

Would we do it again like this? Yup! :)

PS Joeri - cool smoke. When we meet up, I'll lead though....

About the oil.

How long is a tank lasting and does it leave a heavy residue? I know there are multiple brand options, so what are yinz using ?

smoke ?s

Kyle

I split a 50 drum of AEROSHELL smokeoil with 4 guys. The skysmoke for the Rotax lasts about 10 - 15 min of smoke, but that's not constant smoke on.

smoke formation 1.jpg

smoke formation 2.jpg

There is not much to clean off of the belly of the 12 and it is easy to wipe off in a few minutes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Dave. Ours should be here on Tuesday, just in time for warmer temps to install. Have any photos of how you routed the power? I will probably split off the 12V adapter plug. I'm guessing you came up thru the center section snap bushing ?

Thanks.

Thanks for the info Dave. Ours should be here on Tuesday, just in time for warmer temps to install. Have any photos of how you routed the power? I will probably split off the 12V adapter plug. I'm guessing you came up thru the center section snap bushing ?

Thanks.

Check your PM or call me tonight

Nice! Do you get any smoke in the cockpit?
Did you cut the exhaust pipe?

I still have to seal my gear legs before further testing.

Besides that last week I had to call the tower. An other pilot had called that I had a problem with my engine ;-)

Just a little smoke wandered inside. Most likely thru the gear leg. Our exhaust is trimmed per the plans. It is cool.

During the last 20hours the smoke production was less than before. At my 100hr inspection I pulled the brass smoke nozzle/injector and it was "burned" up and I found the inner piece in my exhaust.
Welded the hole in the exhaust tube and drilled a new 1/4" hole for the stainless injector from Smoke-system-helper and discarded the preheater. In between the oil line fitting at the firewall and the injector I used a hose from Aircraftspeciality. The order was shipped the same day!
Taped the right gear leg opening because smoke was entering the cockpit and I was suspecting the right gear leg opening.

Even without the preheater smoke production looks a little bit better. I think the flow is a bit higher but the belly is still clean. Still a little bit off smoke in the flight deck when I have the pump running for more than 10sec but less than before.

IMG_4520.JPG

IMG_4521.JPG

Last edited:
Most interesting. I have not mounted mine fully yet, because I just hated that darned preheater! Tell us more about how it all works without the heater.

From my mail with Marvin Homsley from Smoke-system-helper:
The Rotax uses a special oil injector I can send you the correct parts.
No, preheating the oil does not make it smoke better.
My smoke oil injector uses a AN-4 hose fitting.

You are correct that the brass fitting you have now will break. About 35 years ago I started with brass and found out that it will not work so I switched to stainless steel and they never break.

I really have good smoke now without the preheater. The only difference is that the injector orifice looks a little bit bigger. The belly is still clean, I think the flow is ok. I will buy a needle valve for some extra testing so I can manipulate/control the flow.
It gives a much cleaner install without the preheater. The hose is 13,5" from what I remember.

More gadgets to come Don on your plane? (finish it! ;-) )

Last edited:
Back