What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vernier cable detent ball - lost! GRRRR

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I was installing my vernier mixture cable yesterday, and needed to shorten it (Bowden style wire cable from ACS), so without remembering the instructions that came with it that say to not pull the handle out past a certain point because the ball will fall out, I did exactly that, and the ball did exactly that as well. It fell into my open seat ribs, and after a few minutes of digging I found it, cleaned it, and set it in a safe spot. When I had finished with the cable and was ready to install it, I picked it up again to reinstall it and promptly fumbled it, sending it flying across the shop and into a pile of junk.

I spent a couple hours on hands and knees looking for that little POS, but it's permanently gone. Does anyone happen to know what size ball bearing that is, and where I can get a replacement other than buying a new cable just for that part?

I was installing my vernier mixture cable yesterday, and needed to shorten it (Bowden style wire cable from ACS), so without remembering the instructions that came with it that say to not pull the handle out past a certain point because the ball will fall out, I did exactly that, and the ball did exactly that as well. It fell into my open seat ribs, and after a few minutes of digging I found it, cleaned it, and set it in a safe spot. When I had finished with the cable and was ready to install it, I picked it up again to reinstall it and promptly fumbled it, sending it flying across the shop and into a pile of junk.

I spent a couple hours on hands and knees looking for that little POS, but it's permanently gone. Does anyone happen to know what size ball bearing that is, and where I can get a replacement other than buying a new cable just for that part?

I would give ACS a call. I did the same thing with a McFarlane cable. They sent me several at no charge.

bob

I would give ACS a call. I did the same thing with a McFarlane cable. They sent me several at no charge.

bob

I just got off the phone with ACS, they were no help at all. They had no data on the size of the detent ball, had no replacement parts, and would not give me the manufacturers contact info.

I just got off the phone with ACS, they were no help at all. They had no data on the size of the detent ball, had no replacement parts, and would not give me the manufacturers contact info.

Another strike against ACS. With their paint shipping problems and no help when people need help, that is a problem.

Hey Greg, maybe a magnet on a stick, sorta like this, would help you find it, assuming the ball is steel.

I've found lots of stuff in my junky shop :eek: with one of these.

I feel your pain. :(

Hey Greg, maybe a magnet on a stick, sorta like this, would help you find it, assuming the ball is steel.

I've found lots of stuff in my junky shop :eek: with one of these.

I feel your pain. :(

Tried that, more trouble that it was worth - this is not a hangar, it's a farmers barn where we also fabricate toolbars and do all kinds of other metal work. The place is lousy with steel filings and shavings, that was a lost cause.

I guess the first plan of attack is to measure the hole and see if I can find a steel ball bearing that will just drop into it. After the less-than-stellar customer service experience with ACS I'm not going to give them a chance to sell me another one, that's for sure.

Greg, I'm predicting the day you get this problem fixed, you'll look down and see that little steel ball peeking around a corner at you. It happens to me all the time!

Are you calling ACS the retailer or ACS the cable company. It looks like the later is run by a relative of Jim Irwin named John. Their phone is: 928-855-8613

http://acsproducts.co/

Bob, you are the man with the plan!! :D

The first call was to ACS the retailer - that's where I had no luck. I just called your link, they are dropping a couple replacements in the mail TODAY at NO CHARGE - and then on top of that the girl I spoke to wanted to know if I had called the retailer first or not, so I shared my story with her about that. She was quite interested, she said they DO carry those in stock and could have sold me one quite easily, and wanted to know exactly who I spoke with over there (Judi), she said she would call Judi and get her straightened out.

Meantime, I've got my problem in the process of being solved.

DR - your website and my annual donation just paid for itself (again)!

I have one disassembled in the shop and can tell you the size of the ball but I won't be home until late Sunday evening.

Back