What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder Cable rubbing against snap bushing

HighSchoolBuilders

Well Known Member
Hi all,

I was just about to close up my turtle deck, when I notice my rudder cable, when under tension, rubs against the snap bushing. Is this normal? Is there a fix to this? Sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere, I did some search but still couldn't find a solution...

Thanks!
Hank

Mines the same. QB with ground adjustable pedals. Not flying yet though! I didn't think it was a big issue but someone more qualified may chip in here.
I ran some plastic protection along the top of the rear longerons where the cables sit when slack, prior to entering the sleeving through the bulkhead/rear skin exit.
Hugh

Totally normal on all RV models; that's what the bushings are for; so the cable and bulkhead combo does not wear. It's an inspection item though I have not noticed any wear in my bushings in six years / 200 hours (I don't get to fly enough). Cables should also be inspected; I think there was an article in Sport Aviation about someone who lost an aileron cable in a Cessna because a pulley stuck. Notebook: Good emergency practice - can you land your RV without the rudder?

A number of years ago, Van published in his RVator my solution for this type of problem. It was also carried in the "27 Years of the RVator book".

Basically, you insert an additional smaller snap bushing into the original snap bushing. This smaller bushing provides a sacrificial wear surface for the rudder cable and can be replaced when necessary. The smaller bushing is sliced through on one side to allow it to slide over the cable and is then inserted into the larger bushing.

The article goes on to explane the fabrication of a tool that allows the smaller bushing to be released from the larger bushing.

Red Tape

Thanks! One of the hurdles here is I need to convince the inspector with paperwork, that this is acceptable on the RV.

Good to hear at least it's not a build error...I think I am ready to close the turtle deck

Back