What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy questions

JOEPILOT

Has anyone had to trim the front edge of the canopy? I've drilled fore, aft and both skirts and clecoed, but it looks like the front edge is hitting when I try to open. Also, where the canopy curves to meet the front deck, it's lower in the corners. Is that addressed when laying up the glass? Or is something wrong?
Thanks, Joe

I had to remove about 1/8" from the forward edge of the canopy. With my canopy the corners were also a bit lower (see wrinkles in paper template). From what I remember I did put on two layers off glass, thereafter some thick slurry with cotton and thereafter completed the fairing with the rest of the layers. Afterwards you can smooth out the depression with micro.
After reading all the horror stories on this forum I was a bit reluctant to start with the fairing but it was an easy job to do. Have fun!

Last edited:
I originally had some interference, but I went the opposite direction: rather than trim the edge I extended the edges so they stay outside the cavities at the canopy edges. I think it looks better, but I made it impossible to remove the avionics bay cover without pulling the canopy because some of the screws are now inaccessible due to the larger skirt. There is also some paint wear due to the skirt rubbing on the fuselage skin.

Has anyone painted the inside of the Plexiglas canopy where the fiberglass is exposed? If so what paint and process?

Same as John, sand and painted with rattle can flat white in black.

canopy painted.jpg

Back