What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Map Box Hits Firewall

alexe

Well Known Member
The rear upper edge of my map box hits the vertical portion of the upper firewall when installed in the panel. I'm a bit concerned that it will cause a problem down the road after vibration and scuffing take their toll. Anybody else with the same issue, and if so, what did you do to rectify it?

I think you will find that the upper fuselage skin will push the upper firewall forward enough to solve your problem.

My map box barely touches the firewall without the upper firewall panel in place. With the panel in place I can't see it being an issue.

Thanks Robert and Dave. I only wish it was that easy. I DO have the upper forward fuselage skin screwed down in place. The interference is quite pronounced, that is, it actually displaces the right instrument panel rearward a bit. The right panel can be screwed into place and it does lay flat, but there is considerable pressure on it. I have checked and re-checked, but I don't see where I messed up on anything.
Alex

Double-check all of your work on the box so far. I found this RV-12 adage to be substantially true: If it doesn't seem to fit properly, you likely did something wrong.[/I

Sounds like you may have drilled the holes for the screws that attach the forward end of the map box to the panel base a little too far forward. Page 29A-10 in my plans. They weren't easy to drill as I recall because it was a very awkward location to get to under the panel. Try removing the screws and see if that fixes the problem. If so, then you might try slotting the holes in the panel base a little more aft with a round file.

Actually, I have not drilled the bottom of the map box yet because of the clearance issue. Yesterday afternoon I decided to back out the screws on the top panel, then put a few screws into the face of the instrument panel containing the map box (instead of the cleko's). Next, I tightened all the top cowling screws again. There was some improvement. Now only the left upper corner of the box hits the firewall.

The firewall checks out to be straight, so that does not appear to be the cause of the issue.

I think I might just shave a bit off the offending corner of the map box and move on. I guess its not worth losing too much sleep over.

Thanks for the suggestions,
Alex

Back