What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Back of top cowl lifting between cam locks on 6A

I just acquired a slightly used 6A. It has 635 hrs total. After about my first 8 hours of flying I noticed the back of the top cowl lifting between the cam locks. They seemed to be spaced about 5" apart. I checked the baffling and fixed were I thought it could be leaking. It helped a little but not much. Any help out there?

Thanks

This is common. On hinge installs it lifts at the hinge pin split behind the oil door.
The only fix I know of is to reinforce the cowl by adding some layers of glass to make it stiffer.

Cowl lift

Thanks Jon. I wonder if adding more cam locks between the existing ones would help along with the reinforcement ?

You can lay up a stiffening rib just forward of the camlocks to help with this. I used a few layers of glass, but if I had it to do again, I would mold in a foam rib or some 3/8" foam backing rod.

Guy

You can lay up a stiffening rib just forward of the camlocks to help with this. I used a few layers of glass, but if I had it to do again, I would mold in a foam rib or some 3/8" foam backing rod.

Guy
See there, Squirrel?! Just like I recommended! ;) ;)

Back