What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What metal to order for Milspec camloc RV10 kit?

sritchie

Well Known Member
Hey folks,

I'm planning a big Aircraft Spruce order and want to include the material that I need to make the flanges for my camloc install.

It looks like the longest pieces I need are 0.050" aluminum to build the mounting strips alongside the cowl. Are folks using 0.050" as well for the flanges around the edges of the firewall? I've also seen mention of 0.020" shims required for the skybolt kit, but I don't see anything about shims in the milspec instructions. If not, can I get by with a long sheet of 0.050" for the entire install?

Thanks for bearing with me, all! Getting close to riveting down my upper forward fuselage and it'd be great to be able to get started here.

I got a 2'x2' sheet of .050 and used a shear/brake to cut it into strips. There was plenty for around the firewall perimeter and both cowl seams. You won't see that the seams are done in sections when the cowl is on. Any shim material needed was taken from the trim bundle that Van's supplies with the kit. At this point, you should have plenty of scrap aluminum anyway.

Here is the beginning of my install. Pictures are from my RV-6A install. If you go forward a few entries you can see I made the strips wider than they needed to be. You definitely want to scallop the upper strip so the tabs can be angled to match the cowling. Since the bottom and side strips are straight, they don't need to be scalloped, nor did I find a need to adjust the seam strips (the lower cowling had enough build up for the mating flange that the strips were slightly inside). The strips do not need to touch the cowling inside (except for the seam strips where they rivet to the lower cowl); you'll set the depth of the fastener so a slight gap is actually good.

Last edited:
I used .063 because I already had it on hand. Worked just fine. As for shims, you'll need to test fit and see if your cowl sits proud of the forward fuse skins when it's sitting on the mounting strips. I shimmed mine using the shim material that came in the kit for the hinges.
FP14122014A0000M.jpg

FP14122014A0000R.jpg

That's a great tip on the shim material for the hinges. I hadn't thought of that. The pictures here are really helpful. Thanks all!

Showplanes cowl

I am trying to decide if I need to use a shim between the flange and the skybolt brackets. I measured the thickness of the showplanes cowl around the firewall edge and it is a pretty constant .050". I measured the firewall flange cluster and it seems to be right in the bri or hood of .050". The idea is to have the cowl flush with the fuse skin, so is a shim warranted?

pre made flanges??

Hey folks,

I'm planning a big Aircraft Spruce order and want to include the material that I need to make the flanges for my camloc install.

I think the skybolt kits come with the pre made flanges now. If they don't you can certainly get them. Fabricating the flanges, at least the upper ones, are a real PIA.

I am trying to decide if I need to use a shim between the flange and the skybolt brackets. I measured the thickness of the showplanes cowl around the firewall edge and it is a pretty constant .050". I measured the firewall flange cluster and it seems to be right in the bri or hood of .050". The idea is to have the cowl flush with the fuse skin, so is a shim warranted?
I would use a thin shim. It is far easier to build up and fair in the fiberglass than the aluminum.

Back