What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Palatka Fly-In

tc1234c

Well Known Member
Today is the Palatka Airport Open House and Fly-In. We usually go and make a few formation passes before landing for free lunch. Most of my flight decided to go to Flying W near Bushnell for breakfast. Three of us decided not to try grass and went to New Smyrna Beach airport instead. Since New Smyrna Beach airport is only 5.3 nm from us, we have to fly around (excuse to practice) for a while before going in.

IMG_0265.JPG

After breakfast we flew toward Palatka in order to join up for our formation passes. In the air we learned that R2906 was cold so we made the lake in R2906 as our rendezvous point. My ADS-B detected two targets coming and in no time my section lead had visual contact with the targets.
IMG_0398.JPG

We had two flights of four and one flight of three joining in a big wing formation. With the bumpy air and different airplanes we keep the formation loose.
IMG_0423.JPG

We made our pass over the airport then over the city.
IMG_0444.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

Last edited:
For the landing break we turned into two offset diamonds and a V. Starting from the 1st diamond, #2 break fast, then, the slot, the lead and finally #3. At home we promised not to do it again, but this is not home.
IMG_0504.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

On downwind the C172 following us initially reported seeing only two airplanes in front of her. This was a first for her (I talked to her after landing).
IMG_0523.JPG

IMG_0534.JPG

A lot of airplanes showed up and parked on the grass.
IMG_0556.JPG

We got a corner of the ramp to park.
IMG_0564.JPG

Some free gas and free lunch.
IMG_0572.JPG

Last edited:
My wife did most of the photos and since we had too much to do and too many friends to visit she only get to shoot some airplanes and did not shoot those beautiful cars.
IMG_0559.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0582.JPG

Our neighbor did a few passes in this one.
IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0588.JPG

Very good turn out.
IMG_0597.JPG

They continue to jump through the day.
IMG_0595.JPG

A few of my flight members left early. I got to lead the remaining seven home. After warbirds and P-51 made their passes we followed a long line of departure airplanes. Four RVs were ahead of us.

IMG_0617.JPG

They did a nice low pass while we waited on the runway.
IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0640.JPG

We did our pass before turning south home.
IMG_0673.JPG

Stay loose until home.
IMG_0689.JPG

A beautiful day spent with friends is priceless.

Rest of the photos: https://plus.google.com/photos/107646684575855201411/albums/6110657943300336593

Last edited:
Back