What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pilot's Operating Handbook

vernon smith

Well Known Member
I recently purchased an RV-12 and a Pilot's Operating Handbook came with it. I also found the same document on the Vans web site. The problem is it's 8.5" x 11" which is a little cumbersome in the cockpit. Mine was on copy paper in a three ring binder. Are these available in something like a 8" high x 5" wide card stock paper with a spiral binder on the top or left side for ease of use for the pre flight as well as in the air?

I put the Van's supplied POH against the left wall of the cabin beneath the armrest. Velcro holds it in position. I didn't like the slide-in tray under the right instrument panel. I also mounted my fuse holder beneath the left outside air vent.

cqmna.png

I keep my hardcopy POH out of the way behind the passenger seat and an electronic version, which is what I use, on the tablet I use in the cockpit and on my smartphone.

It?s been a while since I updated mine, but I seem to recall a print option for two pages per sheet that shrinks it to the smaller notebook size.

I load all the manuals into ForeFlight which allows you to organize documents into folders and pulling them up is easy to do (in fact I keep all five the Rotax manuals, Vans/RV-12 MM & POH manuals, insurance, FAA documents, Garmin radio, Dynon ...) all in one place. Having access to everything even when on a trip somewhere is really convenient.

As for the POH itself, bring the current file available on the Vans website down to Staples on a thumbdrive and ask them to print it out in a booklet size / small binder. Inexpensive. Obviously worth keeping that one on paper in the cockpit although the iPad is so reliable that I haven't cracked mine open in some time.

To be legal does one maintain the POH that came with the aircraft, or have in reach, the most current? There are differences for example the Vg in older kits was in the 80th kt range, current is 60 something. What changed to cause that wide spread or is my interpolation off... Same question WRT ROTAX Operators/MMs.

As I recall AROW (formerly ARROW) says operating limits. As long as you have your ELSA operating limits letter onboard that should make you legal even without the POH, but of course the POH should be onboard. I used to have an experimental Yak-52. I never carried anything but my FAA OL and Program Letter.

There are differences for example the Vg in older kits was in the 80th kt range, current is 60 something.
Vg?

:confused:

The PDF I have prints on 8.5 x 11 paper, but has each page boxed for trimming to approx. 5.5 x 8.5 or so. One of these days I'll get around to trimming them and putting them in the small binder in the plane, some of the laser printing on the old copy is coming off.

To be legal does one maintain the POH that came with the aircraft, or have in reach, the most current? There are differences for example the Vg in older kits was in the 80th kt range, current is 60 something. What changed to cause that wide spread or is my interpolation off... Same question WRT ROTAX Operators/MMs.

A current POH on board is a requirement for S-LSA RV-12's.
For E-LSA RV-12's it is required that the kit manufacturer supply it to the builder (since the kit is based off of the certified S-LSA) but there is no requirement that it be in the aircraft for flight (though it is not a bad idea).

I assume you mean Vbg (best glide?) I believe it was an erroneously published # (that is why documents have revision #'s/levels).

Well, there is obviously some confusion about what has to be on board but it's a very handy thing to have available in the airplane. I took the Vans .pdf to a local print shop and had them reduce the page size to 8" x 5" which is a common size for printers to have in stock. They put it in a nice plastic spiral binder that makes the pages very easy to flip. They used a card stock paper for longevity and a see though plastic cover and exit page. I like it :)

Well, there is obviously some confusion about what has to be on board but it's a very handy thing to have available in the airplane. I took the Vans .pdf to a local print shop and had them reduce the page size to 8" x 5" which is a common size for printers to have in stock. They put it in a nice plastic spiral binder that makes the pages very easy to flip. They used a card stock paper for longevity and a see though plastic cover and exit page. I like it :)

I'm not confused about the what, just the reasons for the different numbers and Scott cleared that up. Coming from years of certified Acft to ELSA third owner, No doubt my personal checklist and reduced sized POH are within reach in and out of the cockpit. Not studying the specific POH change data and seeing forum discussions on glide speed I missed the reason for the different numbers published between versions. I thank you and Scott for clearing that up. As dumb as this may sound, I come from an ancient civilization that the only dumb questions are those that go un-asked. I've seen glide speed represented as Vg and Vbg sorry for that confusion.

Back