What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Gaining Confidence

Mark Dickens

Well Known Member
Patron
As a long time flyer (almost 36 years) of certified airplanes, I find myself still amazed that this experimental plane I built (99% by myself) in my garage actually flies like a real airplane and apparently is tough as nails, based on my extensive testing of bounced landings. I've also found that for me, Phase 1 Testing is a legal artifice, a formality to check off, because I don't think I'll really get finished with testing until somewhere around 100 hours.

For me, testing has so far fallen into two categories: 1-learning to trust the airplane and proving that it won't fold up like a cheap card table...I'm 99% there, and 2-learning to trust myself as a new tail wheel pilot (~40 hours so far). I'm about 30% there.

Sure, I've conducted stall tests and slow flight and attempted to test the airspeed calibration and some other basics, but I haven't yet conducted different weight and balance tests, spin tests or drawn any fancy Vx/Vy graphs yet. That will all come. I'll do all the other stuff, but I'm in no hurry right now.

To the point of this post. I am obviously working on becoming a better tail wheel pilot and part of that is just getting out and working at it in different conditions. It's spring time obviously and with spring comes wind. I decided to take a long round-robin x-country within my test area yesterday. I'd plan to make one landing at each airport.

IMG_0066.jpg

Winds were up with gusts out of the south, but for the most part, they were within 20 degrees of the runways I planned to land at. As the day wore on, the winds picked up. I stayed low (~2500 ft) since the distance between airports wasn't great so the ride was rough as a cob. I came to appreciate those Crow shoulder straps on more than one occasion. The plane didn't seem to care.

My appreciation for Vans design and affection for this airplane grew. All landings were acceptable and even a couple were good three-pointers. My appreciation for my Titan engine and Don Rivera's AFP injector took a real leap when I had a last second go around at one of the airports with a short, downhill runway surrounded by trees. Almost on the ground, low and slow and all of a sudden I caught a gust and I'm up 10 ft and slow. I utter "oh darn" (edited) and jam the throttle forward, and that plane was outta there like I was in a slingshot. No hesitation at all. Thank you Titan and Don...I did go around and land it at that airport. Can't let a landing get the best of you.

I know I'm not there, and not even close. I plan to do some more of these kinds of flights to build confidence, and at some point, I'll draw up some fancy graphs for the POH, but for now, it's all about becoming a competent tail wheel pilot in a plane I built in my garage (still can't believe that).

Just some thoughts to maybe stimulate some conversation or comments.

Reads like your instructor did a good job , but your 36 years is what taught you the most. The difference between being a pilot and an airmen.
Nothing will ever succeed experience, you're on a new aviation path that's almost like starting over. A new level of excitement.
Be your own best instructor.

Reads like your instructor did a good job , but your 36 years is what taught you the most. The difference between being a pilot and an airmen.
Nothing will ever succeed experience, you're on a new aviation path that's almost like starting over. A new level of excitement.
Be your own best instructor.

Couldn't agree more...flying is fun and challenging once again!

Baker Field, Hohenwald Tn

That short downhill airport with trees didn't happen to be 0M3 did it? John A. Baker is my hometown airport and the airport where I soloed so many years ago. Same conditions got my attention 3 months ago with similar sudden wind gusts. Always interesting, and it was 1000 feet shorter 35 years ago when I soloed.
And if it wasn't the same, it's good to know an RVer chose the Hohenwald airport for some practice landings.
Low priced fuel and the current airport manager was my instructor for my first solo back in 1982.

Last edited:
That short downhill airport with trees didn't happen to be 0M3 did it? John A. Baker is my hometown airport and the airport where I soloed so many years ago. Same conditions got my attention 3 months ago with similar sudden wind gusts. Always interesting, and it was 1000 feet shorter 35 years ago when I soloed.
And if it wasn't the same, it's good to know an RVer chose the Hohenwald airport for some practice landings.
Low priced fuel and the current airport manager was my instructor for my first solo back in 1982.

Yes it was. I learned to fly at Lucien Field in Shreveport...the airport gone now, replaced by an intersection called LUCEN. Runway was 1900 ft with pine trees on one end, so small airports don't generally intimidate me. I'll head back to Baker again one day for some practice!:D

Your doing great Mark and I'm sure your just realizing what a great plane you have built!.... I am about to go down for my 2nd condition inspection on my 7. I have logged 209 hrs and 282 landings in two years and my plane continues to amaze me! I just got back from a 2500 mile round trip to Sun and Fun and loved every mile!

Your doing great Mark and I'm sure your just realizing what a great plane you have built!.... I am about to go down for my 2nd condition inspection on my 7. I have logged 209 hrs and 282 landings in two years and my plane continues to amaze me! I just got back from a 2500 mile round trip to Sun and Fun and loved every mile!

My goal is to bring it to OSH...I have a lot to do and many landings to make before I'm ready for that, but as someone else says, every dream needs a deadline! :D

For me, testing has so far fallen into two categories: 1-learning to trust the airplane and proving that it won't fold up like a cheap card table...I'm 99% there, and 2-learning to trust myself as a new tail wheel pilot (~40 hours so far). I'm about 30% there.

Sure, I've conducted stall tests and slow flight and attempted to test the airspeed calibration and some other basics, but I haven't yet conducted different weight and balance tests, spin tests or drawn any fancy Vx/Vy graphs yet. That will all come. I'll do all the other stuff, but I'm in no hurry right now.

I think your priorities are well placed. Yes, these are Experimental, but they are far from being a new design. You can sort out all of the more advanced testing later in Phase 1. Unless you seriously deviated from the plans, or made some gross construction error (very unlikely) your really not a test pilot in these machines in the true sense of what that would mean in an unproven new design.
Still, treat every flight like you are. Every RV has differences in engine installation, wiring, avionics, etc... They all need to be "tested". That is what Phase 1 is all about.
Keep it up!

It sounds like you are doing great at mastering the art of flying!

Once you hit 100 hours of tailwheel time, you won't even think about it. That is good and bad. Bad because you never want to get complacent and good because your insurance will go down and you now have the skill and confidence to no longer be afraid of it!

Congratulations!

Back