What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine and Panel Decisions "For Dummies" Guide?

PilotFuse

As I mentioned in a previous thread, my engine and electrical knowledge is pretty minimal. I'm working to learn, and I've been reading hundreds of threads about engine choices and panel choices, but I'm wondering if there's some sort "for dummies" guide to help newbies out? I'm seeing lots of threads on individual decisions (FI vs. carb, for example), but not as much information on how those decisions affect others.

As an example, I'd love to see something along the lines of:

When you're choosing your engine and prop, there are many decisions to make, A, B, C, D, and E being most important. Here are the advantages of A.1 vs. A.2. If you choose A.2, there are things you consider with regard to decisions C and D.

On the panel front, it's likely more about functionality. Option A does this, this, this. If you want to add X functionality, you'll want to add this, this, or this. Here are the differences between them.

Obviously, I'm working on figuring this out myself, and I know it'll take time, but I'd love to see a baseline guide for those of us who could use some specific, educated guidance.

Thanks, guys. Tools ordered, and the workshop is coming together over the next week or so!

Simple and safe tend to bubble to the top:

Engine - get the 180hp IO-360 M1B. This is a bullet proof engine and you will not beat the Van's price (I tried and I still got both of my RV engines from Van's). There are a lot of fire breather options out there so if you have a very fat wallet and don't mind burning the fuel look there. I like this engine as it provides superb cruise fuel economy and is only a little overpriced.

Prop - if your primary mission is efficient rent cross country, get the Hartzell blended airfoil from Van's. If not, then get the FP of you choice.

Panel - Decide IFR or VFR. If IFR get an integrated system that all works together out of the box and, most important, that you can install yourself. I have installed three full Dynon SkyView systems (EFIS, ARINC, Radio, Transponder, Autopilot and ADS-B) and they all work as advertised. I strongly recommend you do not just "buy a panel". If you can build a plane you can install a soup to nuts system like the SkyView and in the process learn how it works. For your TSO GPS IFR Navigator you are very limited to crazy overprice stuff and the even more expensive options. The least risk process is to get a new GTN-650 with a harness from the supplier of your choice BUT make sure you specify what you want for a harness. Send me a note if you need ideas. For VFR do as you like, but always select components that you can later build on to get the IFR panel later. Don't install any vacuum powered stuff.

Bottom line - the Van's IO-360 M1B is the best value you will find. Don't even think about a non-fuel injected engine - way too may cons and no pros that I could ever find. The Hartzell BA CS prop has been demonstrated as superb prop. If FP then go with what other people like. For my RV missions efficient cross country trumps other considerations so I only fly CS props. You may have different priorities.

The engine and prop (or at least a correct hub) are required to fit the cowl. Pick up the engine next summer at one of Van's "air show specials". Put off the panel until the last step other than installing AP servos and such.

Carl

I see a FP vs CS prop debate in the making :D

Note that FP is first above. :)

Last edited:
You are at a really tough point in your decision making. So many choices. So many pluses and minuses, and you don't have the experience to know. Most of us where in that same boat.

Even now, with my experience, what would I change?

Smokey put 4 wings on a six. Made a great airplane. He told me he wouldn't do it again.
I love the feel of flying behind a fixed pitch, but I wouldn't trade my CS out for one.
I put in the latest and greatest EFIS. They went out of business and left me orphaned.
I spent quite a bit of extra $$ on injection, but probably won't see that money back with the type of flying I do most.
I put in an A/P, then pulled it out. (related to the above) and never regretted it.

I pulled 20 lbs of c...r...a...p.... out of my airplane years after it was flying and never missed it. I made it simpler, easier to maintain, and probably safer.

My best advice to you is keep an open mind, research, and ask anybody and everybody RV what they think... then do what you think is best for you.
I hate "what is your mission". Well, most new builders don't know. You can guess, you have dreams, but things change. A lot suffer from not knowing what they don't know.

In the end, find a happy medium. RV's are awesome in any and all configurations. Never met one I didn't like! (but a few I wouldn't own or fly behind ;))

Just start building and read the forums here for a few years, after 5+ years of building, and reading the info on here, I was armed with tons of info and was able to make a power plant and panel decision. for me it was FI, CS glass and AP.

Just start building and read the forums here for a few years, after 5+ years of building, and reading the info on here, I was armed with tons of info and was able to make a power plant and panel decision. for me it was FI, CS glass and AP.

Yep...the info we share on avionics today most likely will be obsolete by the time you are ready to buy a panel. Keep doing your homework and you will be informed when your build is ready for engine and panel. There are lots of other things to worry about between now and that point. Enjoy the journey! :)

Last edited:
Build all the kits (tail/empennage, wings, fuse, then finishing) in order. As was already mentioned, you'll be reading these threads as your building. Hopefully you'll read other threads along the way about avionics, powerplant, and prop that will answer your questions. By the time you need those big three items toward the end, you would learned enough to make your decision. LEAVE the avionics for LAST.

Great advice. Build the empennage. Build the wings. Then, on the fuselage you have to start making decisions.

And, by the way, don't buy anything (particularly technology) until you absolutely have to. You'll regret it later (I have a substantial amount invested in regrets sitting in my basement currently. ;-) )

Put in wires to cover your contingencies when you're building. Easier to put em in snd nog use em than to add just one more...

First thing, don't get too anxious about it. You're just getting started and you'll pick up a lot of information just from reading this forum as one source. Don't forget about the EAA online videos, etc.. I use a note taking tool like Evernote or Onenote and every time I come across a useful bit of info, I create a note. Over time, you'll build your own personal knowledge base.

Know your mission. It might help to even write it down so you have a reference point for the kind of information you're looking for. You don't need to know everything about everything.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question. :eek:

Ask lots of questions. They're a friendly group here. :) Just don't ask if you should prime. :D

Cheers!

There's really no way to predict what avionics will be available when you're ready to install them so you'll have to save that decision until later on. You will have to run antenna wires during construction, though, so give some thought to what you might need. As Wischmeyer said, better to run an extra coax and not need it than the other way around.

A basic decision is carbureted vs. fuel injected engine. Another is fixed pitch vs controllable pitch prop. Another is whether or not you will have a vacuum pump (kinda' pointless these days IMHO). I screwed up when I was building my plane and didn't install rudder pedals on the right-hand side. I figured I would be the only one flying the plane, but didn't consider that I wouldn't be able to legally get a BFR in my plane due to the lack of "a full set of controls". Ooops!

Back