What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Small favours, I'll take 'em!

sbal0906

Well Known Member
So after finally successfully dimpling the aft holes in the R-903 rudder tip rib, I couldn't shake the feeling that maybe I had flexed the flange back and forth a bit too much in the effort of getting something in there to get a good dimple. Maybe it would have been fine to build on but I decided to go ahead and order a new rib now that I had a way of dimpling in that narrow space.

I received the rib to discover the aft 6 holes were already drilled and dimpled! Nice! :)

Modifying tools

We all know what you are dealing with and how many tight spaces there are,
that require access with tools.
Don't be afraid to modify your tools a bit to better accommodate them in tight spaces.
You may need to grind one side of the dimple die just a little to access those spots without distorting the flange. consider getting a second set of dimple dies, one you can modify and one for the 95% of dimpling that does not need altering the shape of the dimple set.
Good luck.

Scott, I took a look at your plane today in the EAA hangar. Your right in the middle of it and it's looking good!

Scott, I took a look at your plane today in the EAA hangar. Your right in the middle of it and it's looking good!

Ha! I was wondering how long it would be before I get mixed up with 'sbalmos'! :D

I'm relatively new here. As much as I'd love to be right in the middle of it, I've been "just getting started" for a few years now but am hoping to accelerate my progress.

Cheers!

We all know what you are dealing with and how many tight spaces there are,
that require access with tools.
Don't be afraid to modify your tools a bit to better accommodate them in tight spaces.
You may need to grind one side of the dimple die just a little to access those spots without distorting the flange. consider getting a second set of dimple dies, one you can modify and one for the 95% of dimpling that does not need altering the shape of the dimple set.
Good luck.

Thanks! What I ended up doing was epoxying the female die from the close quarters dimple die set on to a piece of flat steel with a 3/32" hole in the center. Then put the male die in the rod from the C-frame tool and used a hammer to form the dimple.

Cheers.

Back