What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS feed to a Dynon EMS-120

Simon Hitchen

Well Known Member
Just wondering if anyone knows of an inexpensive GPS unit that I can tie in to my Dynon EMS-120 please. I've been looking at the Garmin 18x that will provide position information to my ACK 406 elt but I don't think it will do the same to my EMS.

Anyone have any experience with this please?

Many thanks

Don't understand why you want to connect a GPS to an engine monitor.

I hooked my GPS to the EMS 120

An old KLN 35A -- but I also have a D10A, and now I have a CDI on the D10 or the EMS. Also, I believe the GPS hooked to the EMS120 allows the 120 to calculate "distance" to fuel exhaustion and some other stuff, based on position and ground speed?

Don't understand why you want to connect a GPS to an engine monitor.

Lots of interesting trivia becomes available when you do so. Not necessarily required for safe operation, but interesting nonetheless. For example, how much fuel will I have left at my destination? How many miles can I cover at current fuel burn? What is my current nautical-miles-per-gallon?

Additionally, the GPS data shows up in the engine logs on some EMSs such that position and GPS altitude can be correlated with engine-related events.

Again, none of it necessary but it's nice to have.

Exactly..

The extra stuff is nice to have, primarily fuel info, range and endurance.

I'm not building an complex machine and it'll be VFR, but it would nice to have some of the little luxuries if I can use a relatively inexpensive gps.

Thanks

Do you already have another GPS that's driving your nav display or autopilot? If so, just split the serial data transmit line to also drive the D120. A single rs232 xmit line can drive two or three inputs easily.

GPS feed

Simon:

I think you could use the GlobalSat 07-BR-355-S4 GPS Receiver. I have an MGL Enigma in-putting autopilot gps sentences into a Trig TT21 and i think maybe i need to add the above GPS receiver to get better information to the trig and also to feed GPS position data to the Pathfinder ads-b in receiver. At any rate the global sat is mentioned in the Pathfinder docs as a suitable GPS receiver and they aren?t very expensive. My i pad with Flyq picked up a bunch of targets like 6 or 7 with altitude on last weekends flight to Ponca City Oklahoma breakfast. I wasn?t sure where the targets information was coming from but i did see something on screen before i saw them with eyeballs.

Keith Rhea
RV7
73 hours

G496

Hey Simon,

I have the G496 tied into my D180. Works like a charm. The HSI works great and I'm hoping all the other goodies will work as well. I will also tie the G496 into my ACK406 soon.

Just did my preclose on the fuselage and have been cleared to final inspection. Time to get a move on if I want to be airborne next summer.

Cheers,

Don.

Note there are two kinds of GPS. One with databases and one that is just position.

With just position, the D120 can calculate range to empty, as well as fuel efficency over the ground.

With a GPS with a database, if you have an active flight plan, then we can also tell you fuel at destination.

We can connect to most GPS units with a screen and database, so if you already have one of those in the plane, even "handheld", you can use that.

If not, and you just want a small puck to get the data, then something like the 18x will work fine. There are other modules like this, such as the one Byonics sells for APRS applications.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies Gents, most helpful indeed.

Congrats on the inspection Don, very exciting times ahead for you, you'll be flying before you know it :)

Thanks

Back