What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flight timer recommendations?

flyboy1963

Well Known Member
I have a simple 2 1/4" timer which has a clock and stopwatch function.
I'd like one that I can also keep track of a fuel 'countdown', or tank changes etc.
anyone have a recommendation? Pics, brand and supplier appreciated.

oh, and I may need the hole for an EI tach, so a standalone timer would be better.

The EI tach is very nice. There is a cheap timer I got from an Ace HdWr that I used for IFR. Just a simple plastic digital that I velcroed to the panel.

Roberta

I have a simple 2 1/4" timer which has a clock and stopwatch function.
I'd like one that I can also keep track of a fuel 'countdown', or tank changes etc.
anyone have a recommendation?

I made up a timer from an electronics kit and permanently wired it into the aircraft. I used this from Jaycar Australia and had a fun afternoon soldering all the components onto the PCB. This kit can be also be purchased from Jaycar USA.

I have mounted an ON/OFF toggle switch, a flashing red light and a momentary push button reset switch high up on the instrument panel directly in front of the pilot. I have the timer set for a 30 minute countdown.

I turn the timer on just before advancing the throttle for takeoff. Thirty minutes later the light will start flashing to remind me to change/monitor the tanks. I then push the reset button to restart the 30 minute cycle.
I like this system as it is very simple to operate compared to the timer on my EFIS and you can't miss the flashing red light directly in front of the pilot's eyes. :)

Fin
9A

Last edited:
DIY is great!

Hey Fin, I wondered where Heathkit went?
Used to be you could make nearly anything for $20 and a PCB and some stuff.
For some of us, electronically challenged, it might not work....but most of the timers I see have option A and B, but not 'C'...so this sounds interesting!

thanks for the lead!

Just to get this out there on timers: The Garmin 496 series (and others I'm sure) has a timer the user can set up for fuel reminders :D Rosie

Take a look at the glareshield of the "Heavy Glider":
DSC_3121.JPG

In front of me on the glareshield are three digital kitchen timers - the MOST USED tool in the cockpit (bar none!). We have about a dozen of them, with velcro on the back and use them to time all sorts of things. In fact, we have little sticky dots from the office supply store that we put on the front, and then write on in pencil what event the clock is counting down to - otherwise, a timer goes off, and we have to ask everyone who set it, and for what!

Not very high tech - I bet we buy them at Bed, Bath and Beyond or someplace - but they work great and are pretty cheap.

Paul

Last edited:
timer clarity

Hey Paul,
love that shot with all the 'egg timers'! good idea on the reference note too!

which brings me to my personal preference....a triple kitchen timer, displaying total fuel in the #1. left and #2. right tank, plus the #3. third set at :20 .....repeated..... to switch tanks, is how I THINK i'll use it.
I see a timer in the GeoPilot, but forget about toggling thru 62 menus to find and then set it, or I suppose it could be displayed constantly, which I don't think I want to sacrifice a data field (for only one timed event.)

Last edited:
update on the triple timer!!!

Here's a link to some pics, since I have no luck posting them.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos?tab=wq#photos/100372618234519026646/albums/5953599361950104513

this timer I think I got from Skygeek for $17..added a nice 'lego' mount with a velcro tab to hold it flat to the dash.
There is a version that appears someone just hacked the case, and added a flashing red LED at the top....but I would recommend it, as the beeping alert when one of the timers runs down is barely perceptible in the cockpit.

as far as operationally.....I think it's pretty much doing the job. When I dip the tanks before flight, I note the gallons and/or hrs of fuel to reserve level.....then enter it in the timer as flight time available. The 3 rd timer counts down :20 min to switch tanks, and it will display the countdown of both the tank being drawn from, and the switch time .

ain't perfect, but not bad for $20.

note: google 'triple timer' and you'll find quite a few others that may work, but be aware, this one from General timer, some places are trying to flog for $79!!!
the nerve eh?

Last edited:
I have 2 of these Taylor Kitchen Timers.

5842_detail.jpg

They are very thin, count up or down depending on how you set it up and have a large display for my old eyes. One is attached by Velcro to my dash while the second one is attached by Velcro to my kneeboard. I think they cost me about $5.00 each at Wally-World.

:cool:

Maybe you have one already

Most of the Garmin transponders have a timer function. So does the GRT EIS (that's what I use for 30 minute fuel tank reminders).

fuel tank timer

i also wanted a fuel tank timer and do have one of sorts in the MGl Enigma. Just takes a lot more effort to get to it and set it than i wanted. I found a small solid state device that onlr requires a light and a switch and power to get a 30 minute timer. I have not received it as i just stumbled on to it this past weekend. It is here: http://www.curioustech.net. Looks to me like it will do just what i wanted and many others.

Keith Rhea
RV 7 putting side skirts on canopy.

Back