What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

C Channel 2024

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
Hey all, anyone know a source for undrilled C Channel 2024? I need approximately 2" wall by 1/2" flange, about 2-3 feet, thin walled. I need it to make a shelf for avionics install. Plan "B" is to try to bend my own but ...

Last edited:
Big Box Aviation dept.

Check the Local big box store Aviation section. Most of their inventory is 6061-T6, which is perfectly fine for your needs, and way cheaper than the 2024-T3. I probably have exactly what you need in 2024 in my hangar in the event you cant find local, but would have to cut and ship you a piece. Send me a PM if you want me to check.

Thanks! I did check last night. They had some steel C channel, but no aluminum. Lots of aluminum angle, though. I couldn't tell by the finish what it was and it wasn't labeled. Didn't look like 2024 or 6061 but I've only seen what's come with my kit. I'll try a few of the others around town.

You can also make it from a flat strip of sheet and two of Van's pre-bent angles. If more depth of flange is needed, you can rivet on more strip to extend the flanges.

A bit time-consuming and heavy, but not hard. Look on "The List" for:

AA3-032X3/4X3/4X4'

They also have pre-bent angles in other thicknesses, widths and lengths.

Dave

Back