What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USA: Colorado

Leadville, Co.

Duh, you have to do Leadville, the highest paved airport in the U.S.
It's really a no-brainer in an RV, however, that said, don't be stupid, and expect to be over-gross, full of fuel, people and baggage, and still have the type of performance you're used to! It's almost 10 thousand feet, and that doesn't include density altitude. Go there, get the t-shirt, the certificate, take some pictures, and be smart when leaving. REMEMBER! If you're a flatlander, and even if you're not, keep a little power in on landing, don't be afraid of how fast the ground is going by underneath you, fly airspeed! On takeoff, just let her roll, get the airspeed, and expect a flatter deck angle on takeoff, shallower takeoff profile! Fly airspeed!

Jeff
Toucan N605RV
Ft. Collins, Colorado

Don't forget Greeley (GXY)

The area smell can be a bit offensive due to the feed lots, but the restaurant at the field has stood the test of time! The Barnstormer is the best for breakfast or lunch. Stop in a check it out!! :D

Self-serve fuel is not the best deal ever, but is usually competive.

Pat Claar
N660PC RV6 :eek:

Durango

The narrow gauge steam railroad between Durango and Silverton is a spectacular trip that I have done half a dozen times. I've taken the train both ways in the past but would suggest going by train one way and by bus on return for different scenery. Durango and Silverton are both neat little mountain towns with plenty of restaurants and shops to keep you busy.

Creede CO (C24)

Flew from MeadowLake (00V) to Creede for breakfast today. Nice weather, awesome mountains and a flight down the valley to set up the overhead approach to runway 25. It was a flight of two RVs.

After parking we find the courtesy car and take off. The drivers side door did not latch so I drive with the left hand and hold the door closed with my right. Only concern is right hand turns.

We had breakfast at a refurbed firehouse then walked around a bit. On the way back to the car the fudge store opened so I got a small amount of walnut and pecan chocolate fudge. I had to eat a small piece on the flight home and realized that was a mistake when I could not find any water.

Next time follow the prime directive and have a camera.

Salida

Mecca for all sorts of outdoor activity. Rafting, fishing, mtn biking, hiking, atving. Skiing and snowmobiling in the winter. Everything close and the area caters to tourists so it is made relatively convenient. Three courtesty cars.

Hey Ron,

Great report. Seen you guys launch this morning. I was with Daivid W in his -8. He let me fly it to Pueblo for breakfast and back. I gotta get my engine ordered.

Today's breakfast flight...Salida (ANK)

Once again Stewart (AKA...Goober) was in trail. We passed Pikes Peak at 11,500' instead of my normal 12,500' climbing to 14,500'.

Aim just left of a special mountain then over the ridge to set up the intial approach to rwy 24. I turned too soon but not an issue. When I am rolling out I see that the tarmac is full of planes and gliders. We actually had to look for an open parking spot.

Fortunately there are three courtesy cars and we go into town to the Patio Pancake Place. Nice place to eat but this town does not have the mountain town feel like in Creede.

Next week it will probably be Creede again and a low level entry up the valley. Then climb up to Inspiration Point for a snack. Love the cooler weather we are starting to get.

Last edited:
Creede CO (C24) again

Last week Dub W and I were to fly to Telluride (TEX). It was closed for paving so we decided to go to Creede (C24). Departure point was Meadow Lake (00V) near Colorado Springs. We flew west of the Ft Carson restricted area at 10,500’ then up to 12,500’ to cross the mountains at Hayden Pass.

This is Dub with Pikes Peak in the background

DubPikesPeakSmall.jpg

On to Del Norte then west a bit over a plateau then northwest up the valley. This picture shows the view to the northwest.

CreedeValleyApproach1Small.jpg

Normally there has been a car available to get to town. So I start checking on possible courtesy cars to see which was good and found it. Proclaiming victory to Dub I wander back to secure the plane then notice that there are a lot of TX plates around. Even the one I found had TX plates. Seems odd that a Colorado county/city would have TX plates on a courtesy car so I decided that it was NOT for transient pilot use (notice that I did not use “utilization”...what a pretentious word). When I discussed this with my hangar mate he stated that it was by default a courtesy car. So next time I will take it. Who would charge me with felony auto theft?

Fortunately we were able to get a ride with a kind guy who also offered to get us back to the airport.

We were dropped off at the trailhead to go to the Pinnacles and Inspiration Point so we hike up to the Pinnacles. The next picture is from the Pinnacles.

CreedePinnacles1Small.jpg

We hiked back down and found a nice place to eat lunch outside. Then we walked around. We finally talked to a town employee who mentioned that the courtesy car we had used before belonged to a pilot and was no longer there. Sigh

Back to the drop off point and we were picked up by the good guy who delivered us to our planes. Here is my plane on the ramp.

54RL-Creede.jpg

Departure southeast down the valley then back home. The final picture was near Hayden Pass looking north.

Mtns-HaydenPassNorth.jpg

Another Meadow Lake RV pilots trip to the mountains completed and part of our fond memories of flying in Colorado.

Last edited:
More on the Creede trip

Limited on pics posted.

This picture is a bit closer to Creede going up the valley.

CreedeValleyApproach2Small.jpg

This is on final to Creede.

CreedeFinalApproachSmall.jpg

CO lunch spots

Thanks to the suggestions of folks on the Colorado Pilots Association email list, I have a nice list of lunch spots accessible from Denver.

North:
* Scottsbluff, NE - restaurant on field
* Sidney, NE - free shuttle to Cabelas
* Cheyenne, WY - restaurant on field
* Greeley, CO - restaurant on field (Barnstormers)

East:
* Goodland, KS - restaurant on field, with pie!

South:
* Pueblo, CO - restaurant on field (Spitfire Grill)
* Canon City, CO - restaurant on field

West:
* Kremmling, CO - Moose Cafe
* Gunnisson, CO - Quarter-Circle-Circle Restaurant
* Salida, CO - Laughing Ladies Restaurant
* Leadville, CO - Prime Rib

The flatlands

Wray, Colorado home of the Prairie Chicken, wheat fields, and cattle farms. The scenery is flat! You can see the mountains on a good day from a hundred miles. Nice 5,000 foot paved runway. No amenities on the field, but good mom and pop restaurants close. Two stoplights in the town and lots of friendly people. Love to have anyone venture out this way.

It's a tough life

This is a rough way to live,,,,we're off of KFNL (Loveland- Fort collins) in the 7 just before sun up, up over the divide at 16500 (60 kts on the nose, but smooth &100 miles vis). Chop it and drop it into KGNB (5 below zero) to drop the wife off so she may spend the day skiing at Winter Park. Breakfast with my buddies at Remingtons (they are mostly ret navy, but I get desperate for company)then I'm back in the air to Kremmling to the meat market to pick up some filet mignons(SP) for my 93 year old mom. Those and Black Velvet is all she would like to live on. She lives in Craig, so thats a chance to swing by the Steamboat Springs ski area before landing at KCAG and into town for some of the best TEXMEX in this end of the state. A hour nap and I'm back in the air, south to the Colo river and up the Gore Canyon back to Granby. I pick up the wife and cross the divide at 15500 as the lights of the front range of Colorado are beginng to twinkle on. Guys, it's a sacrafice, but someone has to do it

Dave

This is a rough way to live,,,,we're off of KFNL (Loveland- Fort collins) in the 7 just before sun up, up over the divide at 16500 (60 kts on the nose, but smooth &100 miles vis). Chop it and drop it into KGNB (5 below zero) to drop the wife off so she may spend the day skiing at Winter Park. Breakfast with my buddies at Remingtons (they are mostly ret navy, but I get desperate for company)then I'm back in the air to Kremmling to the meat market to pick up some filet mignons(SP) for my 93 year old mom. Those and Black Velvet is all she would like to live on. She lives in Craig, so thats a chance to swing by the Steamboat Springs ski area before landing at KCAG and into town for some of the best TEXMEX in this end of the state. A hour nap and I'm back in the air, south to the Colo river and up the Gore Canyon back to Granby. I pick up the wife and cross the divide at 15500 as the lights of the front range of Colorado are beginng to twinkle on. Guys, it's a sacrafice, but someone has to do it

Dave

My hat goes off to you, Dave. ::::salute:::: We are truly a grateful nation to have warriors such as yourself to go above and beyond the call of duty so the rest of us can rest easy and continue banging rivets.

Visit to Colorado Springs

So we're flying to Colorado Springs next week to visit an old friend. Haven't been there in over 30 years!! Is KCOS the best place to go or how about one of the outlying airports, Meadow Lake or East CS? Would like a chance to chat about mountain flying - flew a couple of weeks in New Zealand but never in US (live in Michigan). Will be flying Europa XS with turbo Rotax 914. Also suggestions on where to fly and what to see.

Thanks

Jim
Europa XS N241BW

Dave

Belay that drivel, ye swab!
Ye be fortunate to have such fine mateys for shipmates. ;)

Colorado navy guys

Hey Greyhawk, these navy guy ain't too bad they just should'nt be allowed out at night without their keepers and on a short rope, and D---M,,, never,ever, let them out when the moon is full. It is just what happens with to many cat shots....

Rocky Mountain Light Sport Expo May 18/19

header.jpg

Hey all,

The Rocky Mountain Light Sport Expo will be May 18/19. It will be at Front Range Airport (KFTG), just outside of Denver. Last year we had quite a few RV'ers come by and visit. Everyone is invited again, and if nothing else, it is a gorgeous area to go flying!

Here is the URL to the website.

http://www.rmlsaexpo.org

Bump to the top. Expo next Saturday and Sunday. Vans will be sending an RV-12 LSA. Hope to see you there.

Back