What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

LED Landing lights in your cowl

chaskuss

Well Known Member
Several searches have not led me to any information on this mod. I'm wondering if anyone has installed LED Landing lights in their cowl? Is there room in the smooth cowl for such a mod? What size lights did you use? Did you use made in China lamps or Aviation made in USA lamps? Are you happy with the results? Are you satisfied with the lifespan of the bulbs?

Charlie I would love to hear more about the light in the cowl as well. I've seen several RVs with cowl landing light and spoke to one (Jack Rosen out of Mass). I also played with RV10 light ring some years ago. The curve of the cowl is different and l couldn't make it work.

Under the cooling inlet...

Hey Charlie, I started working on that before I sold my last 8. If you get a rectangular light, it'll fit nicely under the engine cooling inlet on the right side for sure. Not sure about the left. Unfortunately, the project I bought (and just finished) had holes cut in both wings, so I had to put them there.

Me want

I would like to have a small led in the cowl for runway illumination and front wheel preflight at night etc
I have the flyleds ? the works? kit, and these put the strobes on low power continuous for taxi, but i think they wont do much to light up the front.
I am follow this thread with interest.

Thanks for the excellent link

http://www.docthrock.com/Flying.shtml

Doc Throck put a cowling mounted LED light in his F1 Rocket. Looks great! Scroll down a bit to his January 2014 entries. Maybe someday I'll do this to my -8. Then again, I'm pretty lazy...

Thanks for the link. The light would have to be moved to the other side on any RV with a horizontally fuel injected engine, due to the snorkel for the air cleaner. I've created a PDF of the mod page. If anyone wants a copy, PM me.

A note that high-power LED lights require significant cooling to last. Take a look at most any such device out there, and you will find lots of cooling fins, and sometimes even embedded fans! Putting them in the same space as engine heat is probably not the greatest idea, at least IMHO. A small blast tube could help in flight, but not much on the ground.
Andy

Back