What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tank sealant question

Hey guys,
I am going to start with the Flamemaster tank sealant that I got from Vans.
I have heard of guys using a lighter, more pliable sealer to top coat the main tank sealant. Apparently the purpose of this is to make sure that all of the small holes that are created by the curing process get sealed. I was told that it could be applied with a small acid brush.
Has anyone here used anything like this, and if so what is the name of it and where can I get it.
Thanks!

I would caution against this. For that matter I don?t recall any ?curing holes? in the eight tanks I built.

I recommend staying with the just the standard tank sealant from Van?s and following the plans. I?d be afraid of any added layer flaking off.

Carl

I would caution against this. For that matter I don?t recall any ?curing holes? in the eight tanks I built.

I recommend staying with the just the standard tank sealant from Van?s and following the plans. I?d be afraid of any added layer flaking off.

Carl

Carl has a great point. Properly built tanks don't leak, and proseal doesn't off-gas as it cures, so it doesn't create bubbles on its own. The leaks I've seen as a tech counselor all seemed to be caused by inadequate mixing.

But, to Carl's point about a second layer flaking off, probably not. The A compound adheres to the B compound very well.

I bought the Type A stuff from www.skygeek.com.

It works very well. This is a reliable, common approach to sealing tanks.

Here are some pictures I saved from some tank sealing process document I'd found, that show the top coating and how it's applied. I used a small hobby syringe to apply it, and a Popsicle stick to shape it, where necessary. Please note that the sealabt between the parts, which we typically do on RVs, is not Shown in these pictures, but it's a part of the process.

4rg0Ysf.jpg

And

p3n7in6.jpg

Dave

Back