What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tie-down bar platenuts

SmittysRV

Well Known Member
I attached my Tie-down bars to the wing spar this weekend and used my torque wrench to tighten down the bolts into the platenuts that hold the bellcranks brackets to the spar. I used the same torque setting for these bolts as the setting for the nyloc nuts. Is there a different torque setting for bolts going into platenuts?

Have a goodun!

Nyloc nuts and plate nuts are self locking fastners and create drag on bolts or screws to keep them from coming loose. Using your torque wrench measure the amount of drag the nyloc or plate nut is causing when you are installing the fastner before the fastner is completely tightened. Add this torque reading to your final torque setting and there you have it. Example: If it takes 8 in pds to turn the bolt in the plate nut and the proper torque for the fastner is 25 in pds then the final torque would be 33 in pds. Technically you should should do this for each individual nyloc or platenut as they are not all equal. If you only torque the fastner to 25 in pds, 8 of that 25 was drag by the nut and the fastner would really only be torqued to 17 in pds.

Bellcrank Bracket

Smitty,

Just FYI but you are going to have to remove one of those aileron bellcrank brackets in order to install the bellcrank, unless you skip ahead and install the bellcrank before the top skins.

Back