VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 03-06-2018, 10:00 AM

Default Aluminum tarrifs

As I've been reading the news over the past week, I can't help but wonder how kit prices are going to be affected by the imposition of hefty duties on imported metals. Anybody else pondering this?
RV10 - Empennage (Started March 2017)
St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
2017 dues paid
Reserved:C-GRPY (GRumPY)
Old 03-06-2018, 10:29 AM

We love visiting Canada regardless of the extra cost due to the imposed taxes of one form or the other across the border . A 10 percent increase in the import cost of aluminum does not bother me here in my country. I'm just glad we here have much lower taxes in all respects compared to many other countries? And the cost of flying is much less here.

Probably best to not push this political issue but I just can't imagine someone from another country complaining about an import tax other than there own? BTW we do love Canadians, no disrespect intended
Old 03-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larco View Post
We love visiting Canada regardless of the extra cost due to the imposed taxes of one form or the other across the border . A 10 percent increase in the import cost of aluminum does not bother me here in my country. I'm just glad we here have much lower taxes in all respects compared to many other countries? And the cost of flying is much less here.

Probably best to not push this political issue but I just can't imagine someone from another country complaining about an import tax other than there own? BTW we do love Canadians, no disrespect intended
I'm not trolling here for a political discussion. Those never end well. I'm not really complaining about the import tax although I think it's easy to see that this is going to have major implications for people living both inside and outside of the US. In that regard, I believe everybody has a right to have an opinion regardless of what country you call home. I'm merely wondering if kit prices are likely to rise 10% which might have a detrimental effect on the business as a whole. Ford and GM are worried about the effect on their businesses as they should be. I'd imagine that the effect on smaller companies like Van's might be greater.
2017 dues paid

Last edited by RandyAB : 03-06-2018 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:09 AM

you can't imagine why your closest trading partner would complain about a 25% import tariff on steel coming out of the blue when we have a free trade agreement? You don't have much of an imagination then.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:11 AM

And yes, everything that is made with aluminum and steel will go up in price. That's a given. This is what a lot of law makers on both sides have been trying to warm the President about. There are a lot more jobs related to people who use those materials than the people who produce them.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:19 AM

As far as I know, almost all 4130, 6061, 2024 and 7075 used in US light aircraft is produced in the US already.

I believe the concern was mainly with subsidized industrial and architectural grade steels and aluminum produced offshore and being dumped here.

Ross Farnham, Calgary, Alberta
Turbo Subaru EJ22, SDS EFI, Marcotte M-300, IVO, RV6A C-GVZX flying from CYBW since 2003- 426.1 hrs. on the Hobbs,
RV10 95% built- Sold 2016
http://www.sdsefi.com/aircraft.html
http://sdsefi.com/cpi.htm

Last edited by rv6ejguy : 03-06-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv6ejguy View Post
As far as I know, almost all 4130, 6061, 2024 and 7075 used in US light aircraft is produced in the US already.
Your general knowledge continues to impress me Ross.
2017 dues paid
Old 03-06-2018, 12:41 PM

Smile

Quote:

Yes... my 6061 angle stock seems to all be marked as made in Chandler, AZ, just up the 10 freeway.

https://goo.gl/maps/2XLpKcmqQ882
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM

Even if some aluminum alloys are produced domestically in the US, I would believe that broader inflation caused by the tariffs would have a spill-over effect across the board.
2017 dues paid
Old 03-06-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:

I believe the concern was mainly with subsidized industrial and architectural grade steels and aluminum produced offshore and being dumped here.
In general, I believe tariffs will have the effect of increasing prices to U.S. customers of the materials and manufactured articles made from them regardless of national origin. I work in an industry already subject to significant tariffs on imported competing products.

I did call Van's yesterday about this and they were not able to say what effect the proposed tariffs may have on their pricing, as the tariffs are not official yet and no particular terms have been stated. However, I am in the process of placing my fuselage kit order as I write this post.

I speak for myself, and not my employer. All opinions expressed here are purely my own.
Closed Thread