What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Milspec or Skybolt?

David Paule

Well Known Member
Everyone happy with what they chose? Anyone used both and have a preference?

Any gotchas?

Any strong preferences one way or another?

Thanks!

Dave

No experience with Milspec, but I used Skybolts on my RV10. They provide some great references/instructions on the installation and their scalloped flanges work great on the firewall and are easier than crafting your own. That being said, the instructions aren't step for step and aren't applicable to all aircraft models either.

Quality/build wise, I am very happy with the choice.

I have Skybolts and am quite happy with them. But I'm sure both brands are good.

I just finished with Milspecs and liked them and their telephone support. They have adjustable tension. No experience with other brands.

Bevan
RV7A

Mil-Spec

I just installed a new cowl and used Mil-Spec.......very happy with the results. The adjustable depth is great. There is a learning curve to understand how they work and I made some samples in scrap materials to see for myself how they went together. I used "Dan's" method of installing a fiberglass flange on the cheek sides and it turned out very nice.

Milspec ...

Can't say enough good things about Milspec products and support. EVERY time I remove my cowl I'm thankful for my decision. It takes me less than 5 minutes to remove both top and bottom cowl. The guys I've helped with hinge pinned cowls, in general, cannot say that.
Also, if you have some unusually deep locations (e.g. on either side of the spinner) Milspec has fastener receptacles of varying depths. I needed two in my case.

A builder here has used the Skybolt system on his -7A and it looks very nice. Their pre-fab flanges are slick. That said, I love the Mil-Spec fasteners on my -6A and have already (long ago) bought a set for the -10. I have no problem making my own custom flanges. Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Skybolts!!!!

Since Milspecs are close clones to the Skybolts. I used Skybolts on my first plane and will be using them on my second. Their construction and quality is great.

They have a full range of sizes and functions as well the pre made flanges. I prefer the originals.

Adjustable depth -

Just so you know, the Skybolts also are depth adjustable. I liked the pre-made flanges too. I'm sure both are great choices and they definitely make the cowling quick to remove and reinstall!

Very happy with MilSpecs

After 700 or so hours and four years, my MilSpecs look as new as the day I bought them. Work great. Never had an issue. Worth every penny.

I'm very happy with my Milspecs. 250hr, LOTS of taking the cowl on and off, no visible wear. I'm somewhat instruction challenged and I had NO PROBLEMS with the instructions.

I have no direct experience with the Skybolt, nor do I have any vested interest in either company, just a satisfied Milspec customer.

I'm very happy with my Milspecs ... I had NO PROBLEMS with the instructions.
I have no direct experience with the Skybolt, nor do I have any vested interest in either company, just a satisfied Milspec customer.

Yep, that goes for me too. As I recall, the Milspec instructions were 5 to 6 pages, maybe more, with photos. Given some of the other products I had struggled with, I thought their instructions were top drawer.

Five years and nearly 700 hours on my Milspecs and they still look like new. No problems with instructions or customer service.

Back