VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 12-08-2012, 09:31 AM

FYI

I requested the tool changes for the -14 in case there was new hardware or space restrictions not in previous kits. I was emailed section 3 from the plans which says RV-14 but contains the tool list for what looks like the RV-12.

Since several tools required are not on that list, I wanted to warn builders to not order tools based on this list. More info will be coming from Van's in the next few days.

-Mike
800-368-1822
www.CleavelandTool.com
mike.toolman (at) gmail.com

Like on Facebook - Follow on Twitter - See on YouTube
Old 12-08-2012, 10:18 AM

You'll need a backing plate for the 14 wings, I don't think that is required for the 12 as they are pulled , correct?
Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvalovich View Post

But I have no control - I'm an RV building addict and am about to become a repeat offender.

She'll eventually get over it, won't she?

"A man has to know his limitations" - D. Harry

Does she have a choice?
N588DF RV12 #336 Sold
N73DF RV12 #244 Flying
Rans S21 Outbound (Coming soon)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:21 AM

Default RV-14 Wing Kit and entire aircraft are Awesome!

I took a tour of the Van's factory earlier today and was very impressed with their operation. I was so impressed that I purchased the RV-14 wing kit! I really enjoyed flying the aircraft and was really impressed with it's handling qualities and roominess! I am fairly tall and weigh 225+, and had no problem sitting in the aircraft and clearing the canopy. I had room to spare!!

Mark, you were right in your assessment of the RV-14 kit. Thanks, for all the info and for answering all of my questions about the aircraft. Also, thanks to all the others who have helped me to make the decision to build. I do feel that it will take less time to construct this kit than it has for previous models because so much of the self engineering and decision making has been removed from the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcattell View Post
There's an advantage to living close to Van's. No crating and no shipping of wing kit required to take delivery. With the help of fellow RV-8er Randy I got the wing kit home this afternoon.

I'm currently taking inventory but very happy with what I see so far. Here are a few of the highlights.

- Very nice full-size punched holes that will require minimal deburring before assembly.

- Instructions printed right on the 11x17 plan pages. I needed my glasses before when I built the -9A so smaller plan pages won't be an issue. No other instruction pages required. I hear that's like the -12.

- Comes with those nice new fuel caps that are easy to open and very light weight.

- Trailing edge aileron wedge material pre-punch for rivets, complete with lightning holes. That's a cool time saver compared to the -9 empennage trailing edges.

- Complete wiring harnesses. Not only for nav lights but for wing mounted ADAHDS and autopilot servo. Now that's cool. And all made by Stein. They have Molex plugs on the ends so I'm assuming the fuse wiring kit will mate up to them.

- Nice gray colored wingtips. Maybe that means improved gelcoat or something.

Well, back to the inventory to see what other nice surprises I'm in for. I can see this airplane going together much faster than the previous solid rivet models.

Last edited by Rock : 12-15-2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:26 AM

Default Good to hear you took the plunge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I took a tour of the Van's factory earlier today and was very impressed with their operation. I was so impressed that I purchased the RV-14 wing kit!
Outstanding news Rock! I got my delivery yesterday and am working on inventory. Look forward to following the progress of all of us early -14 builders.

I'm glad that there are lots of repeat offenders building. I'm sure they will plow ahead and give us something to follow. Now we need some build logs to start hitting the web.
RV-14A #140026
Wings 70%. Started on the Emp.
www.KCandAshleyBerner.com
Happy to be a 2016 =VAF= contributor
Old 12-15-2012, 07:39 AM

Default Conway Freight

And a big shout out to Conway Freight. I was worried about the delivery part of this given my work schedule and lack of helpers but it couldn't have gone smoother.

They called to set up a delivery day and time. The driver showed up with a lift gate on the truck and a palet jack. He dropped the 200# boxes right in my garage. No worries!
RV-14A #140026
Wings 70%. Started on the Emp.
www.KCandAshleyBerner.com
Happy to be a 2016 =VAF= contributor
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I took a tour of the Van's factory earlier today and was very impressed with their operation. I was so impressed that I purchased the RV-14 wing kit! I really enjoyed flying the aircraft and was really impressed with it's handling qualities and roominess! I am fairly tall and weigh 225+, and had no problem sitting in the aircraft and clearing the canopy. I had room to spare!!.
Rock,

It was a pleasure meeting and flying with you yesterday! Thanks again for your business...
Advanced Flight Systems

Van's Aircraft Inc. Technical Support-Retired
EAA Tech Counselor & Flight Advisor

www.westcoastravens.com
Old 12-16-2012, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Blank View Post
Rock,

It was a pleasure meeting and flying with you yesterday! Thanks again for your business...
Hey Joe, thank you very much taking time to give me a demo ride in the RV-14 as well. I was very impressed with the performance and handling characteristics. I love my RV-9A but I'm really looking forward to the roomier cockpit and enhanced performance of the -14. I've been plugging away on the new kit a couple hours every day or two, so only three years to go.

Last edited by mcattell : 12-16-2012 at 03:19 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:43 AM

[quote=Rock;725507]I took a tour of the Van's factory earlier today and was very impressed with their operation. I was so impressed that I purchased the RV-14 wing kit! I really enjoyed flying the aircraft and was really impressed with it's handling qualities and roominess! I am fairly tall and weigh 225+, and had no problem sitting in the aircraft and clearing the canopy. I had room to spare!!QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure that I saw an RV smile on Rock after flying th RV-14.

Last edited by mcattell : 12-16-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:37 AM

Default Joe

You need to practice your RV smile, its kinda weak!

Randy
8A