What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Routing of Fuel Return Line

steve murray

Well Known Member
Trying to figure out how to route my fuel return line out of the tunnel to the side skin and secure it to the floor. Any reason I cannot route the line through the open third hole (circled in red) in the F-1084 and one of the open holes in the F-1084 "Systems Brackets?

I looked through the plans and could not find those holes being used....seems to simple, am I overlooking something that goes in these locations?

6IBOYilO8no-l8fGxdc0WMjfpVfeo8qMFsDAp66SqeFkCJUhk7h2gHrbGY6MHNQCthF0Ma8fBB14SAQ_zHHdCWdvyttQrOAoZRN07F-cpsE9rWSLgVSGXNw4a4_Ew95UJB9BtfecSbxnoTHzdDLoFzscMLEcvkCKMwC2jT4QgIvsDWBxTPIOvl6Eatf35qjQLBdwftZDqN7v7YmQyQcCSVthbQNj7ygnR-Y0_pzQtB-swhUwx65EBdvgTKpxCM4o8RUrpP1tFac9N_qppG1fUdeErhIonNX5fSA5zLVpXZD4webrQPaZWw2iiOuz0pmJziM3opdkd1iPJdf6tmXv8CSklGAwvbAjqrpYiSi4vBh-_I748ugQpbXMEFO8gq6nEzBDeWwKt0HLth2xchGfyKV-8rQ2b-z7PLk0K8jzd3poJ2UHdg-FTr1dEnOw63cd0vjKzLqLC9cM7pt45xVI_VSwldWPaqj09rWNhTq-cDpBWgwFSKXfoVvjGMQq-xs_54FEp-wMvUlv_zR7tu6D6AuUOKndulctm4kx1CgabD9R10UyShDZR46puWaTVMCqUPmvdZrsuWp-DMGzeu9OakBUfdBYGaOah4JLBAhNXM1YQ79EGfIy=w897-h1196-no

Last edited:
I Did

That is where I ran my return line. Haven't run into any problems yet. I have hung the engine and am working on the cowl...

The got-ya on this is where you plumb in the return line fitting on the tank. It is real easy to place it so it interferes with the center spar bolt up.

Take some time to mock this up before you commit.

Carl

Here is the location I used..
2ng6iv5.jpg

Return line dumps in second bay over. Works great.

Here is the routing under seats..
5noq48.jpg

Fuel filter has been moved to wing root for easier access.

Mine looks almost identical using hard line and an AFP
fuel filter in the same location.
The return fitting to the tanks is also in the same location as Flandy10's
I did use a riveted fuel drain flange instead of an AN fitting and mine
simply returns in the first bay.

https://goo.gl/photos/RzMwQ8zpoWGhjrgr6

Did you all just drill a new hole in the side skin for the fuel return line to exit? I had some thoughts about trying to use the same hole for my fuel supply and return lines, but drilling a new hole and using a grommet seems like the right thing to do.

Is this what others are doing?

New hole

I drilled a new hole. I waffled a bit on a grommet versus a bulkhead fitting but in the end decided to go with the bulkhead fitting...

Bob,

Where did you end up putting the return hole? I need to drill mine and am wondering what has worked out well.

Thanks!

hole

I ran the return line straight to the fuselage side and installed a 90 degree bulkhead fitting in the fuse side. Not near shop today but if you go to mykitlog.com, search for sunman, indiana, and look at fuel lines>06-08-2014, you will see a couple of pictures that show how I ran my lines...

Back