What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Pants

AviatorJ

Well Known Member
Started working today on the wheel pants. A little confused but I'll figure it out... my question is on the fitting of the two halves. If there's a 1/16 inch gap in some places can I just use some milled fiber and epoxy at the end to fill it in? Figured I could tape off the front piece and just fill in the aft flange area as needed. Then sand it when it's done.

If not is there a trick to getting these to fix exactly right with no gap?

- Sand the flange on the front half until it is planar - in other words, it sits level on the floor when resting on the aft flange.

- Use packing tape to mask the flange on the front half. Tape such that nothing is going to stick to the flange.

- Fit, drill, and cleco the halves together.

- With the halves cleco'd together, apply a micro mix to the gap between the front and aft halves.

- When cured, sand as necessary. You should end up with a perfect seam.

- Sand the flange on the front half until it is planar - in other words, it sits level on the floor when resting on the aft flange.

- Use packing tape to mask the flange on the front half. Tape such that nothing is going to stick to the flange.

- Fit, drill, and cleco the halves together.

- With the halves cleco'd together, apply a micro mix to the gap between the front and aft halves.

- When cured, sand as necessary. You should end up with a perfect seam.

That's exactly what I was going to do.. except use milled fiber vs cotton. Not sure it matters just felt it needed more strength, but maybe not.

That's exactly what I was going to do.. except use milled fiber vs cotton. Not sure it matters just felt it needed more strength, but maybe not.

As Kyle mentioned, use micro balloons. If you use fiber, you are going to create a lot of work for yourself in sanding and getting everything smooth. It's not structural, so it's easier with micro.

As Kyle mentioned, use micro balloons. If you use fiber, you are going to create a lot of work for yourself in sanding and getting everything smooth. It's not structural, so it's easier with micro.

And lighter.

paint thickness x 2......

Just keep in mind these will get painted and that has thickness and needs a place to go....so a precision fit is not needed, and in fact, will cause you problems, down the road when you paint the wheel pants. Just something to think about as you tape off the "step area". Cheers and always nice to be closing in on the finish!!

Back