What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I question the plans?

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
Working on the rudder, page 07-07. Step 3 instructs to final drill 2 ribs to skin. Step 5 instructs to remove the skins. Why doesn't it say to final drill the other 8 ribs and spar to skin holes? All the skin to structure holes are dimpled, but the plans only have 2 ribs final drilled. Do I follow the plans or assume that all holes should be matched drilled? I am a first time builder and have no experience. I see no reason to not final drill all holes, but my reasoning has not always served me well.

Last edited:
Working on the rudder, page 07-07. Step 3 instructs to final drill 2 ribs to skin. Step 5 instructs to remove the skins. Why doesn't it say to final drill the other 8 ribs and spar to skin holes? All the skin to structure holes are dimpled, but the plans only have 2 ribs final drilled. Do I follow the plans or assume that all holes should be matched drilled?

Nothing wrong with questioning... as long as you find an answer to your question (like confirming there is a plans error, or you just didn't understand what it said, etc.) before using a different process.

The RV-14 was designed with rivet holes at final size, that do not need to be final drilled.
In some instances, the RV-14 uses RV-10 parts, which were not designed to final size. So, in some cases, it is possible that you will be told to final drill just a couple parts, but not all. Do the parts in question have RV-10 part number's?

A good cross check. A rivet of appropriate size will fit in a prepunch hole that does not require final drilling. If a rivet wont slip through a hole that hasn't been final drilled, then it should be.

Last edited:
That makes sense. The parts were R-903 rudder tip rib and R-912 counterbalance rib. They were already sized because I was able to use a #40 reamer. Thanks for the tip.

You always question the plans with Van's... geez you would think they would revise them when errors come forth. My RV7 plans were FULL of errors and no notice was ever really put out. You RV12 and RV14 guys are getting spoiled. :D

My question from the plans was regarding deburring of the pre-punched #40 holes. The plans seemed cryptic to me as to whether the holes pre-punched to final size needed deburring.

The deburring question can be answered easily. Run your bare hand across the holes. If they feel smooth, build on. If they feel rough, then debur.

My question from the plans was regarding deburring of the pre-punched #40 holes. The plans seemed cryptic to me as to whether the holes pre-punched to final size needed deburring.

The current version of Chapter 5 of your construction manual (you can get it from the support section of Van's web site) says...

"All drilled holes, or prepunched holes that have been final drilled to a larger size should be deburred. Holes that were factory punched to final size can be inspected and only deburred if needed (with the exception of large holes to be dimpled for screws - see below)..."

Yet another rookie question?

I have been using the same bits to "final" drill and "match" drill. Does anyone suggest any other methods?

My method seems to be fine, just a side thought.

Paul

I have been using the same bits to "final" drill and "match" drill. Does anyone suggest any other methods?

Paul

You're doing great. Carry on.

Paul

People recommend using a reamer to final drill holes. The reamer is supposed to give you a more rounded and cleaner hole. Nothing wrong doing it either way.

It's ok to question the plans, one thing though, when something doesn't seem right make sure ahead several steps. Sometimes you don't do what you think you hold o for another reason you don't know about yet.

Bird

Back