What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

gascolator for RV14 (A)--

TS Flightlines

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Thought I'd try to open a discussion here about gascolator install on the RV14 and 14A. AHHHHH before a bunch of you start a flame war, the reason for this is our Canadian brothers and some others are required by their regulations to have a gascolator.

The design of the firewall/tunnel, fuel penetration of the 14 & 14A doesnt really lend itself to a great spot fro a gascolator location. Perhaps Scott or Rian can chime in here with there thoughts. I've done alittle checking around on this. Actually it started with a RV7, then it occurred to me that the 14 might have an issue with this. Since the 14 and 14A is now probably the fastest moving kit that Vans sells (?), it might be a good idea to address this.

IDEAS?? Especially from those of you that have flying 14's and 14A's.

Tom

I closed the hole provided by Van's in the firewall and made a new one on the right side behind the co-pilot left rudder peddle and mounted the gascolator to the thru fitting.

Tom,

I'm coming up on this part of the build. Trying to get suggestions, guidance and recommendations. No guidance from Van's (asked). I will probably look at installing them at the wing root outboard of the fuselage on both sides. The issue with this setup is there is no shutoff between the tank and the gascolator.

Cheers Jim

Last edited:
Can it(they) be fitted between the wings and fuselage?

Here's the wording from MD-RA our inspection agency

Fuel Strainer or Filter, (gascolator)
On all amateur built aircraft there must be a fuel strainer or filter between the fuel tank outlet and the inlet of
either the carburetor or an engine driven fuel pump.
The fuel strainer or filter must:
(a) be accessible for draining and cleaning and must incorporate a screen which is easily removable;
(b) have a sediment trap and drain.
(d) have the capacity to ensure that engine fuel system functioning is not impaired, with the fuel
contaminated to a degree that is greater than that established for the engine during its type certificate.
Note; Exemption from section 549.01 of the CAR?s paragraph (26) stipulates that;
Unless otherwise indicated in an applicable part of this appendix, amateur-built aircraft shall have the
following minimum equipment:
(a) gascolator located at the lowest point in the fuel system;

My interpretation of this is that yes the gascolator(s) could be installed in the wing roots. Before committing to this or any other strategy, Tom if you are making a kit for the gascolator, I would correspond with MD-RA and get their approval.

http://www.md-ra.com/en/

Terry and others--

we had a client (RV7) that was told by his inspector that root gascolators werent approved. His email:
"Tom
Inspector just left.
So the good news is that the gascolator required is a high pressure unit on the firewall side. Nothing in the wing roots.
The bad news (according to the article you sent me) is that it?s a gascolator in the engine area"

I take that to mean NO root gascolators, even though it 'possibly' could be the lowest point in the system. WE know several builders in Canada that did do that, so we need to get a definitive answer on this question.

Ron---we heard you put yours on the firewall, and were flying.
Tom Martin, if you read this, we'd be interested in knowing the outcome of yours.

Tom

My gascolators have always been in the wing roots of my RV7A and we're passed by the MDRA rep without any concern as I recall. I have found them to be easily inspectable in this location.

The standard fuel system as per the plans for fuel injected engines does not have a filter upstream of the engine driven fuel pump other than the one for the boost pump. But this filter only filters when when the boost pump is on. All fuel bypasses this filter when the boost pump is NOT on. This was a problem for me, as was having a gascolator in the engine compartment (heat). One gascolator in each root and ALL fuel gets filtered before the fuel even gets to the fuel selector. The dedicated boost pump filter is redundant in my design and not used.

I'm not suggesting anyone else blindly follow what I have done but it works for me (so far). My design was crafted with conversations with fuel people much smarter than I. Be careful. YMMV.

Just one data point.

Bevan.

I closed the hole provided by Van's in the firewall and made a new one on the right side behind the co-pilot left rudder peddle and mounted the gascolator to the thru fitting.

+1, although no final inspection yet.

Michel

There are other options. I'm using this in my current build:

Aerolab flush mounted filter gascolator

It does not go in the root or ahead of the firewall. It flush mounts in the belly skin and is serviced from the outside for no fuel mess in the cockpit.

Not sure how this could be used in RV-14/14A since the lowest point in fuel system (aft of firewall anyway) is over the muffler tunnel (unless firewall fitting is relocated...?)

Last edited:
nice looking unit, but not going in the 14. The structure around the cabin fuel lines wont allow it. It 'might' be able to go in the wing root, but even then it proposes a challenge.

Tom

Pretend that it is an RV 4 or a Rocket. Nest it on the floor, just in front of the fuel selector valve, and aft of the firewall and pedals. Some rocket guys do a doubler with an oval or rectangular access port in the bottom of the tunnel. Unless you can easily access the quick drain to check for water it is a safety hazard.

Also, IMHO if in doubt about size and flow capacity, go larger than required. Flow restrictions are just asking for the quick drain to allow air in at high power settings.

Wing roots might work, but then you have 2 of them.

Yep---it would certainly fit under the selector valve. For that location, I'd have to really check with the Canadian MD-RA.

Tom

The RV14 is a complicated because of the exhaust tunnel that extends almost back to the main spar. Even if there was room to put a gascolator under the fuel valve, in that location, it would be most difficult to service. The proximity to the spar eliminates that location, in my opinion, for installing an inspection door.

RV14A Filter Gascolator

we had a client (RV7) that was told by his inspector that root gascolators werent approved. His email:
"Tom
Inspector just left.
So the good news is that the gascolator required is a high pressure unit on the firewall side. Nothing in the wing roots.
The bad news (according to the article you sent me) is that it?s a gascolator in the engine area"

I take that to mean NO root gascolators, even though it 'possibly' could be the lowest point in the system. WE know several builders in Canada that did do that, so we need to get a definitive answer on this question.

Ron---we heard you put yours on the firewall, and were flying.
Tom Martin, if you read this, we'd be interested in knowing the outcome of yours.

Tom

Hey Guys based on logic I propose installing the Aerolab Gascolator Filters to each wing root closer panels on our RV14A being the lowest point immediately outside of the fuel tank outlets and being prior to the fuel pump.....perfect. I'm retaining the Vans supplied Filter in the centre console as there is no point in removing or servicing this filter once the Aerolab units are installed. I'm not aware of any rule here in Australia where you cant install the Aerolab units in the wing root. Other than the purchase cost of mounting one in each wing I feel that this is the perfect solution to provide redundancy and excellent filtering of fuel to our Lycoming IO-390. I'm also conscious of the possibility of minute Proseal sealant particles washing out of the tank upon its first fuel fill. The Aerolab filter gascolator has a fuel shut off mechanism when removing the filter for servicing or replacing. The filter shape is ingenious and provides maximum surface filter area than most.

Sure is tight in there--

and the supply and discharge fittings in the plane are at different elevations, and offset. Will take some creative plumbing! Pics would be great!
We dont have a 14 here to play with, so I cant be sure, but challenges are fun.
Tom

Back