What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

It Had to Happen.....And It Did

f1rocket

Well Known Member
The promise of every new project is that in our minds, it is perfect. Unfortunately, our projects almost never turn out that way. So somewhere along the line, we eventually have to deal with the disappointment of imperfection.

Ironically, while building a wing stand to protect my wings, I managed to dent my right wing while taking the stand off the work table. Darn.

However, I've learned a lot in the past year and a half and that is "Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff." While I was definitely disappointed at my mistake, I didn't spend much time beating myself up over it. Everything can be repaired and in the big picture, I'm still doing what I love to do. Life could be a whole lot worse I've learned.

So when you get around to making that first big oops on your pride and joy, take a time out and count your blessings. Van's sells a lot of replacement parts because we aren't the first builders to screw up. A couple of hours and I will be the only one to know about my mistake. Life is good.

Words of wisdom...from a wise man.

Thanks, Randy. I know you've been through a lot, but you've also built a lot of airplanes, so it's good that you share your life philosophy with us. :)

How anyone builds an aeroplane that you can give a polished aluminium finish too is beyond me........

Oops!

A great post from a prolific builder.

RV-12 - Under construction
427 Shelby Cobra completed 2012
F1 EVO - partially completed, Sold
F1 Rocket - Completed 2005, Sold
RV-7A - Partially completed, Sold
RV-6 - Completed 2000, Sold
Long-EZ - Completed 1987, Sold

Well said Randy...keep pounding those rivets!
(Edit: OK pull)

Regards,

Last edited:
we do it nice because we do it twice

The promise of every new project is that in our minds, it is perfect. Unfortunately, our projects almost never turn out that way. So somewhere along the line, we eventually have to deal with the disappointment of imperfection.

Ironically, while building a wing stand to protect my wings, I managed to dent my right wing while taking the stand off the work table. Darn.

However, I've learned a lot in the past year and a half and that is "Don't sweat the small stuff and it's all small stuff." While I was definitely disappointed at my mistake, I didn't spend much time beating myself up over it. Everything can be repaired and in the big picture, I'm still doing what I love to do. Life could be a whole lot worse I've learned.

So when you get around to making that first big oops on your pride and joy, take a time out and count your blessings. Van's sells a lot of replacement parts because we aren't the first builders to screw up. A couple of hours and I will be the only one to know about my mistake. Life is good.

I know the feeling.

Back in 2008, while building my RV12 and making daily calls to the guys at Vans builders assistance I was told to remember I was building an airplane and not a monument ... That always stuck with me during my entire build.

Now that I am mentoring on the second project, I realize just how true that is! Even though I had built before, the second 12 will be nicer than the first. Some of the same kids are working on it, and they almost guarantee it. So cool...

Bob

Back